What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X: gauge markings

maus92

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of designing gauge/indicator markings for my RV-8A, and have a few questions:

Most temp / pressure sensors have color options: White, cyan, green, yellow, red. What would the colors white and cyan be typically used to indicate?

MAP: I have an O-360 A1A. How should I design the gauge? A steam MAP gauge I've seen is marked from 10-50 inHg, with a green range between 15-28, and a redline at 28.5. I curious if I can compress the gauge range to 10-35, but I'm unclear about the color ranges.

I am totally confused about how to mark the CHT / EGT bar graph AFA ranges and colors go....

Any suggestions?

Hey,

White for any value below normal operating range i.e. 0-90f on an oil temp.

Not sure on Cyan.

Also keep in mind that you can set alerts when the gauge reads in the yellow or red, the red alerts can be annoying so don't set the red range where you would normally operate if even for a short time.

And yes you can set the gauge ranges in the setup (programming) menus.

If you do not assign a color to any point on the gauge display it will show a black gap between the other markings.

Lastly, look up your engine model and you will find the normal operating temps and pressures.

Back