What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel review request, IFR

Not to derail the thread, but something that's still confusing, having read dozens of these panel feedback and panel design threads: What exactly makes a panel an "IFR panel" vs. a VFR panel?

I'm not instrument rated, but may one day go for the rating. For now I'm planning a panel for VFR flying, but I'd like to future-proof it if possible. Is it just a matter of leaving space for some magical instrument that makes your panel IFR, or is there more to it? Where would I go (in the regs or elsewhere) to learn about what's required for instrument flight?

Not to derail the thread, but something that's still confusing, having read dozens of these panel feedback and panel design threads: What exactly makes a panel an "IFR panel" vs. a VFR panel?

I'm not instrument rated, but may one day go for the rating. For now I'm planning a panel for VFR flying, but I'd like to future-proof it if possible. Is it just a matter of leaving space for some magical instrument that makes your panel IFR, or is there more to it? Where would I go (in the regs or elsewhere) to learn about what's required for instrument flight?

Ryan,
Most of us have op limits that say ifr is allowed if equipped per FAR 91.205. That?s the legal minimum. From that point on it becomes a personal choice, as to (1) what we need/want for backup (with the legal minimum, a single failure could put you in a very bad situation), and (2) what we need/want for navigation (a single VOR would take you enroute, but only in fewer and fewer places are there VOR approaches. An ILS will get you into KLVK, but, legally, you?re also supposed to have a DME to use that approach. There are lots of gps approaches these days, but ifr approved gps boxes are $$$. So lots of decisions need to be made. e.g., do you ?need? an autopilot?) Stop by 311 sometime and I?ll talk your head off on this subject.

The panel looks great. My only question (and this is a generalized panel question) is why do people put the small backup EFIS like the Dynon D10a or Garmin G5 on the left side of the panel?

It'd seem to me that were you actually in need of the backup due to main EFIS failure and say... sitting in the right seat that your angle of vision to it would be limited?
out.

Good question. For me, the answer is that you want that #2 EFIS within your scan, so you can detect a horizon failure on #1. Sort of like keeping the TC in your scan on a conventional panel, when you (*think you*) have an AI. Putting it to the right of the gps is too far right, the left seat guy won?t scan it. As a cfii I frequently fly right seat with all instruments off to the left, and curiously, there is some benefit: I can see GPS moving map, primary instruments, backup instruments, all within my field of vision, and easily detect something not right. You give up some precision (because they?re far away) but you easily see the big picture. My biggest issue is in marginal vfr: going from the instruments (way left) to looking for traffic is a lot of head turning.

Good advice

+1. My "entire hoopla" in fact went belly up one night on an IFR flight in VMC. The safe completion of the flight was never in doubt, in part because the combination of a G5 with battery backup, and an iPad Mini 3 with Foreflight (mine has the built-in GPS) made the whole experience extremely easy to manage. Great gadgets.

Consider instead an iPad 11” pro on a ram mount the allows you to aim it right at your eyeballs. When all the other hoopla goes belly up, it and the G5 could save your life.

One item to consider is the long term cost of nav data updates. Assuming full US coverage, nav data only:

- For the GTN-650 you can choose Jepp data for about $480/year, or the Garmin nav data option for $299/year.
- For the IFD440, I think the only option is Jepp at $480/year.

So it seems that using the Garmin product gives you the option to save about $180/year on nav data costs.

Thanks for them price updates to make sure we have it budgeted in.

If you remove the Garmin COM radio, are you sure you wouldn't have enough room for all 3 Dynon modules in a vertical layout? The capability of your HDX to send all the frequencies to the Dynon radio for single button selection of GND/TWR/ATIS/ATC/WX is a wonderful convenience and capability that you're giving up by going with the Garmin comm radio.

Unfortunately yes, because in the vertical arrangement you can't get the middle unit as high as the two horizontally. It would push the stack too low and then I would have to move the three switches. I suppose it could be done but I don't want to put them switches anywhere else. Also, the GPS would be lower.

In addition, while I do really like those features that the Dynon com offers and I'm sure the radio is great, about 9 out of 10 people I have talked to say the Garmin is better. Although both are probably sufficient.

The panel looks great. My only question (and this is a generalized panel question) is why do people put the small backup EFIS like the Dynon D10a or Garmin G5 on the left side of the panel?

It'd seem to me that were you actually in need of the backup due to main EFIS failure and say... sitting in the right seat that your angle of vision to it would be limited?

On yours though I love the simple switch layout.

Good question, as Bob stated I want it in my scan of the instruments to make sure there isn't a discrepancy with the main. I know some people may suggest otherwise but I REALLY don't see myself flying from the right seat. The only one I will be training in this plane is the wife and she needs to be able to land from the right seat if anything happens to me.

Ya unfortunately to answer this question it is not an easy answer as there are too many combinations of instruments that would do it. Also, I would not consider myself expert enough to try. Your best bet is to really talk to someone on the phone about that one.

Ryan,
Most of us have op limits that say ifr is allowed if equipped per FAR 91.205. That?s the legal minimum. From that point on it becomes a personal choice, as to (1) what we need/want for backup (with the legal minimum, a single failure could put you in a very bad situation), and (2) what we need/want for navigation (a single VOR would take you enroute, but only in fewer and fewer places are there VOR approaches. An ILS will get you into KLVK, but, legally, you?re also supposed to have a DME to use that approach. There are lots of gps approaches these days, but ifr approved gps boxes are $$$. So lots of decisions need to be made. e.g., do you ?need? an autopilot?) Stop by 311 sometime and I?ll talk your head off on this subject.

Thanks, Bob. You previously gave me a tour of your -10's avionics, which was most informative! Would love to continue the chat some time.

Doing some searches for things like "minimal compliance with 91.205" and "IFR equipment requirements" brings up a large number of VAF threads, so I also have a lot of reading to do.

Jereme, great looking panel. I'd be interested in whether or not you ultimately decide against the dual EFIS setup in favor of an iPad or something.

Back