What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Formation with Warbirds!

Mark Burns

Well Known Member
Halls, TN Airshow. Bulldog Flight Formation Team. After the Friday afternoon practice we were giving airshow sponsor rides.

I was leading a flight of 3 RV's. The TBM Avenger and Mustang took off after us. I purposely stayed over the airport to watch them.

The Mustang joined up on the Avenger and they continued to fly around over the airport.
I was following them around at a safe distance just enjoying the sight!

Finally, I got up the nerve...
I radioed the TBM Avenger and asked if my RV flight of three could join up on his flight. He said "we're doing 180 knots!".
Then immeadiately his #2, the Mustang, said "I can fly slower". The Avenger pilot then asked me what speed would work for us, I said "160 kts will work". He said "OK, I'll slow to 160". I asked the Avenger pilot to give us a left turn. I put my two wingman in right echelon and we did a slick join up sliding right up behind the Mustang, joining up on the Avengers right wing! It was awesome!

Our passengers had a blast! My passenger, Ian Cochran took the photos shown here.
Thanks Ian!

My #2 was David "Tater" Bray and my #3 was Tommy "Vader" Palmer. Both RV-8's

This flight was a dream come true for me! All the formation training I've done really came to fruition on this flight!!!

If you've thought about learning to fly formation I highly recommend it!

There is a clinic next month!
Pine Bluff formation clinic September 23rd-25th

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/2016PineBluffClinicgroupurl/info

Mark

20160812_173303-1.jpg

TBM%20AA_1.jpg

Last edited:
Drone, That is so cool. Good on you and the Bulldog guys. See you at the Pine Bluff clinic. Lizard sends

Wow !

Having been there and saw it happen, I can only add to the other comments and think .... How cool was that !!! :)

I would also say that Mark was very lucky but an old instructor once said that "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity!" This is the perfect example of being a good carded formation lead ..... AND then being in the right spot doing the things the sponsors asked. That put him in position to show those P51 / TBM guys what the RV grin was really about!

It was also very gracious of them to invite him in tight! That's a pretty nice personal endorsement all on it's own!

Great job Drone!

Bill

PS, do you think the P51 pilot was looking over there thinking ....Man, I wish I could fly one of those :D

Back