What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV12 Minimal Heat in WI

rkiefer2

Well Known Member
I have a factory built SLSA RV-12 912ULS that I use primarily for instructing in a heated hangar (55-60 degrees all winter long). I do not have a winterization kit as I'm still waiting for it from VANS. Sounds like a thermostat works well, but I believe that's against the SLSA rules.

Does the winterization kit work well enough so that it provides cabin heat at 10-20 degrees F out?

Any short term solutions work with foil tape or anything?

Last edited:
For operations up-north, I would add an engine pre-heater, a set of three (3) different baffles for the oil cooler to maintain 200+F oil temp, and the sliding-baffle for the coolant radiator. 10-20F should not be a problem.

You will also want to use cardboard/foam to block flow of cold air emanating from the baggage compartment. This requires a little ingenuity.

I would not use foil tape to mask off a radiator for fear the tape would come loose in flight and lodge somewhere causing problem…

Not sure if this is doable under light sport, but seat heaters don't take all that much power, and aren't that expensive if you look at the automotive items from Summit etc. Weatherstripping all the air leaks is the other big gain I see in my RV-6A.

There are two classes of improvements you can make to improve cabin heat in the RV12:

1) reduce heat losses
2) improve effectiveness of the heater

For #1, the Vans stock winterization kit includes canopy gap seals; there's typically a fair amount of suction around the cabin that helps cold air enter elsewhere, and improving the seal helps tremendously. Others mention other places you can add weatherstripping to prevent ingress, but I found that just sealing up the canopy better was enough.

For #2, lots of ELSA owners have added a "Bender Baffle" that reduces airflow over the coolant radiator. I did this and found it makes the heater extremely effective. Between both modifications I can comfortably fly my RV12 without a jacket in conditions you describe.

The Bender Baffle is not available to you as an SLSA, but you can perhaps emulate it by partially covering the radiator with aluminum tape. Just remember to remove it when the weather warms up!

Back