What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Testing my fuel/float unit

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I recently watched a you tube video of someone who linked up their Van’s float system to a fuel gauge and a battery to make sure it worked. It seemed like a good idea and maybe a start to the journey of learning how to wire/test electric systems.

I have no experience in this stuff at all and don’t know where to begin. I’m not an engineer, I only know how to fly. I know this is an expansive subject but does anyone have a direction to begin my learning? Thanks.

Bench Test

I bench tested my floats prior to installation by testing with a multi-meter clipped onto the sender and measuring ohms. This did find that one sender was faulty (notice the open circuit with the arm in the half-way position), that Van's replaced for me free of charge.

IMG_2939 (1).jpg

IMG_2840 (1).jpg

IMG_2838 (1).jpg

IMG_2839 (1).jpg

IMG_2938 (1).jpg

Challenge

So my wings are in the wing stand with the chord vertical.
I would like to swing the fuel level senders from full to empty to semi calibrate the G3X.
I am trying to figure out how to do that. I was thinking a strong magnet. Or maybe tilting the wing cradle, but that seems just as risky as taking the wings out of the cradle.
Any ideas?

Back