What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aft bulkhead

[email protected]

Sponsor
I am looking for a little help. I recently purchased, third hand, a RV3A.

It is in need of a little attention and trying to do some things to get it in better shape. One item I have found it a problem with the tailwheel alignment and in repairing the problem, it looks like I will need to replace the aft fuselage bulkhead. I have talked to Vans and found the part number, F-311, but they do not have one in stock.

What i need are the particulars of it to make one. Material used and hardness.

Would someone that has a set of plans share the info for this item?

Thanks
Chip Woods
RV-3A
N234 FT

The outline is on Dwg 18. Dwg 19 says it's .032 2024-T3. The thumb drive plans includes these.

Some people have doubled-up that bulkhead. I did and it adds extra work but does provide a better attachment to the structure. I put mine back to back rather than nesting them.

You might take a good look at the next bulkhead forward, F-310, to be certain that it and the rivets holding it in are okay. Some people have doubled that one up, too, and the same comments apply.

Dave

bulkhead

The outline is on Dwg 18. Dwg 19 says it's .032 2024-T3. The thumb drive plans includes these.

Some people have doubled-up that bulkhead. I did and it adds extra work but does provide a better attachment to the structure. I put mine back to back rather than nesting them.

You might take a good look at the next bulkhead forward, F-310, to be certain that it and the rivets holding it in are okay. Some people have doubled that one up, too, and the same comments apply.

Dave

A couple questions, you mean back to back, you had two bulkheads, basically installed as a mirror image? Second, did you make hem and if so, I would guess you started with 2024-0 and had them hardened to T3 after?

Yes, back to back. I used Van's parts (they were available then) and had to rebend the flanges.

uLTz2mi.jpg

This was during the fitting. The red frame is the Fry jig I was using. What's not shown is that I later glued and riveted the fuselage together. You can read about it in my VAF blog. For your purposes, the gluing is irrelevant.

I sandwiched the 1 1/4 x 3/16 attachment posts for the horizontal stabilizer between the pair of F-310s. I think all that is starting around post #260 or so in the blog.

The tailspring fitting that was furnished was the RV-4 part and it didn't fit at all. It took a lot of rework to install that. At least yours is already done.

Dave

Fitting

Yes, back to back. I used Van's parts (they were available then) and had to rebend the flanges.

uLTz2mi.jpg

This was during the fitting. The red frame is the Fry jig I was using. What's not shown is that I later glued and riveted the fuselage together. You can read about it in my VAF blog. For your purposes, the gluing is irrelevant.

I sandwiched the 1 1/4 x 3/16 attachment posts for the horizontal stabilizer between the pair of F-310s. I think all that is starting around post #260 or so in the blog.

The tailspring fitting that was furnished was the RV-4 part and it didn't fit at all. It took a lot of rework to install that. At least yours is already done.

Dave

Thank you for the info.

Yes mine is already done, but at some point it had a rough life. Tailwheel was sitting about 3/4 inch to the left. trying to get everything straight now.

Back