What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Aera & Garmin GTX 330ES???

Gyrodoug

Well Known Member
I have a feeling pairing a GTX 330 ES with a Garmin Aera 660 does not suffice ADS be rules.

Rumor has it that ADS-B requirements,per the FAA, rules cannot use a portable GPS even though it’s a Waas.

My understanding this correctly? Is there another way around this with these two pieces?

Thanks!!

I believe you are correct. There are very tight tolerances on ADSB "approved" gps units. I put "approved" in quotes because apparently the gps does NOT need a TSO for use in an EAB. But it does need a statement from the manufacturer that it meets the ADSB performance specifications. So you should direct your question directly to Garmin.

My understanding this correctly? Is there another way around this with these two pieces?

Thanks!!

Well, assuming you do not have a Garmin 430W, 650, etc., TSO'd gps navigator (all of which will do the job), I'm not sure. GRT and one of the UAT makers (I forget who) both have an "approved" GPS for about $500. However, I do not know if it will communicate with the 330ES. I suspect not, but don't know for sure.

Back