What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is Experimental G5 Compatible with Non-waas 430?

Pilotjim77

Well Known Member
The Q&A section of one of the pilot shop websites states that the non-waas 430 will not work with the HSI page on the experimental G5. The question was asked three separate times and answered no all three times.

The Garmin website states:

"When paired with the... non-WAAS GNS 430/530 navigators, the G5 is approved as a primary source to display vertical and lateral GPS/VOR/LOC course deviation when available, as well as groundspeed and distance to the next waypoint."

This quote is from a page dealing with certificated airplanes, but I would think the experimental unit should function the same. Does anyone know if the experimental G5 will display course deviation information from a non-waas G430?

Works just fine

Non-waas 430 talks to my 2 G5’s just fine. No issues whatsoever. I do have a gad-something or other, not sure if that’s for the 430 or adhrs

Last edited:
non-WAAS GNS Navigator

The Q&A section of one of the pilot shop websites states that the non-waas 430 will not work with the HSI page on the experimental G5. The question was asked three separate times and answered no all three times.

The Garmin website states:

"When paired with the... non-WAAS GNS 430/530 navigators, the G5 is approved as a primary source to display vertical and lateral GPS/VOR/LOC course deviation when available, as well as groundspeed and distance to the next waypoint."

This quote is from a page dealing with certificated airplanes, but I would think the experimental unit should function the same. Does anyone know if the experimental G5 will display course deviation information from a non-waas G430?

Hi Jim,

Yes your GNS 430 will work well in an experimental G5 installation. Here is a link to the EAB G5 Installation Manual. You can find the interconnect drawing for this interface on page 7-17, the navigator is referred to as "GNS 4XX/5XX (W)". The W in parenthesis signifies that the drawing applies to both WAAS and non-WAAS models. There are slightly different configuration settings required for the two different models, as noted in the configuration notes at the bottom of the interconnect drawing.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Hi Jim,

Yes your GNS 430 will work well in an experimental G5 installation. Here is a link to the EAB G5 Installation Manual. You can find the interconnect drawing for this interface on page 7-17, the navigator is referred to as "GNS 4XX/5XX (W)". The W in parenthesis signifies that the drawing applies to both WAAS and non-WAAS models. There are slightly different configuration settings required for the two different models, as noted in the configuration notes at the bottom of the interconnect drawing.

Thanks,

Justin

Thank you very much, sir.

Back