Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ato14a View Post
Check out Earl’s plumbing part number 923104erl or 923016erl. They are expensive but have a swivel on the pipe thread. Might work.
There's no part number 923016. Perhaps it was supposed to be 923106ERL.
Trying to make OSH22...
Old 09-16-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDA_BTR View Post
Also, when you tighten the sealant progressively migrates in the threads. When you back off a bit then it isn't sealed.
Any of the approved sealants are fine, but getting it very clean first is smart advice. As is the advice to let it sit a day or so before pressurizing.
You say it bottoms out... how tight is it when you get to the correct clocked position without going past that?
Thanks this is good advice. It goes in about 3 and 1/3 turns using a std wrench for the last turn. Then I back it out about 1/3 of a turn which as you say will create a problem with the sealant.

I understand NPT fitting are tapered and by design get tighter. I think my concern is if I use something with more leverage it could go one of two ways. I could get that extra 2/3 turns to clock it correctly or the fitting could shear off ;-(. Is there a torque setting for these fittings I couldn't find anything.

Yes I cleaned this really carefully to remove all traces of the old sealant and left it 5 days before adding the brake fluid.

Robert
Old 09-16-2021, 05:30 PM

Someone may correct me but it is to hand tight plus 1.5-2 turns. All of mine are pretty tight with short wrenches.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:11 AM

For those that might be thinking of use a live swivel like the Earls 922104ERL,
understand that the ONLY sealing between the stem of the 90* body and the swivel NPT is an O'Ring. The NPT section is secured by a lock wire, so it will rotate. Great for orienting to a desired clocking. BUT, as the body moves, and it will with pressure cycles, and hose movement, the o'ring will eventually wear, and and the sealing capability will be reduced. Fluid compatibility is also to be considered.
This type of fitting is widely used in industrial applications, because its easy to use, but they eventually start to leak under no, or low pressures, They will seal under higher pressures because of the movement of the fitting. Not a good thing especially in brakes where everytime the pressure is decreased, you allow some amount of air to enter the system. Get enough and you have a spongy pedal, or worse.

PERSONALLY, I do NOT recommend use a NPT Swivel on any experimental aviation application. My 2 cents worth.

Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7A Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan, on hold while we develop new products for RV builders
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 09-17-2021, 10:15 AM

Thanks Tom I appreciate your understanding and perspective on this swivel fitting. I had not heard of such a fitting and was interested until more information was received.
RV12, #401, Flying 2013, N612PC
RV6, 1996-2010 sold
Old 09-23-2021, 02:41 PM

I wanted to follow up and thank you everyone for their help - so far I think I have been successful.

Cleaned the fitting and gear leg careful, applied loctite 567 and put the fitting in hand tight. Then using a crowsfoot wrench and a medium length handle, tuned it smoothly just under 1.5 turns to the exact position, careful not to back off the fitting. Left the fitting 48 hours+ before adding brake fluid.

I think the difference between previous attempts was going a little tighter and not backing off the fitting to clock it. No leaks so far.

Robert