What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket #3

rongawer

Well Known Member
I had a conversation with Lycoming tech support today, mostly about my engine case which started life as a TIO-540, but will now live on as a 540-X. But while talking, I learned that they're coming out with an updated SI 1125 (should be revision E, but not certain) that will replace the no-longer-available Perfect Seal POB #4 with Permatex 80017, making it official.

My guess is that is what folks have been using for years already, (that and Hylomar blue), but thought I'd pass that on for anyone who may be searching on the topic.

We always use Loctite 515 (aka Grape Jelly) with silk thread for case halves. Also use it as a non-permanent gasket holder. It's the approved product for Continentals and it used to be repackaged with a Continental part number on it at three times the price, until they gave up a few years ago and just send the Loctite packaging when ordering. It works great on Lycoming cases and we have never had a leak since using it.

I did both of my cases with loctite anaerobic sealant & no silk thread (think it was 515 or 517)) and both have been leak free.

Larry

I think you guys missed the point...for those that want to use silk thread, the proper sealant to bed the thread in is now officially Permatex #3. Updated SI pending.

While Loctite 515 and RTV-102 are approved alternate sealants, SI 1125D specifically highlights, in bold words, to NOT use silk thread with either alternate sealants. The two alternates are anaerobic sealants, which are flexible - yet cure in the absence of oxygen (anaerobic), whereas permatex #3 is non-hardening.

Last edited:
Back