What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Decision for 8A

coenraad123

I have reached the point in my build where I have to make the engine decision and I would like to get input from the VAF experts. I am building an 8A and I am looking at the 200hp IO-360 and the IO-390 119 EXP. I am also aware that Van's does not support an 8A FWF for the 119 EXP yet. Also, just to make it more interesting, is the Thunderbolt option worth the additional $$. This 8A is purposely build for light aerobatics and xc to visit my grand kids.

I have a Barrett IO-390X with dual PMags on my newly minted 8A. WhirlWind 74HRT composite prop, all Garmin dual g3x touch panel, autopilot, gtn 650, intercom, etc. ELT and remote transponder and remote radio are mounted just behind the aft baggage. EarthX 900 battery and oil cooler are mounted to the firewall and ELT antenna is under the empennage fairing. My forward baggage compartment is empty. Leather seats and carpeting but no side panels. With full fuel and solo I need 7 lbs. of ballast on the aft baggage compartment floor to be in cg range. My tools and spares weigh nearly that and that's where they sit.

I have the Showplanes canopy and I don't know if it's more or less weight than the standard slider or if it shifts cg fore or aft.

My previous 7A has a 180 hp IO-360 as a comparison. If I had to do it all over again I would absolutely positively go with the 390 again. The takeoff roll (or lack of it) makes me smile every single time. It's definitely heavier in pitch that the 7A. I haven't flown aerobatics in it yet so I can't speak to that. It feels stable and balanced in flight and landings are without issue and I'm not running out of elevator trim landing on the mains. I weigh about 200 lbs. Empty weight is 1119 lbs. Nose gear weight: 326. Mains are 394 and 399 lbs.

Hopefully that gives you some information to make your decision.

Super happy with my new Titan 370, 200hp and lighter than an angle valve.

Look into the Aerosport Power (I)O-375 as well. ~200hp and weighs less than an angle valve engine.

Look into the Aerosport Power (I)O-375 as well. ~200hp and weighs less than an angle valve engine.

I pretty sure Aerosport Power gets their engine kits from Titan/Continental so its really the same engine, it's just who you want to build it/cost.

Doubtful anything was done to the bore. I assume they have a crank with even longer throws to get the other additional 5 CUs versus stroking associated with the 370?

I could have fit anything from an O360 through an IO550 in my build without breaking any new ground. I went with the Titan IO370. Between stroke, slightly higher stroke, better flowing sump/jugs, EI/EFI etc. It's ~ 210HP with the lower weight. The torque peeks at ~388@2450 RPM. Guess what power setting I'll spend a lot of time at if I ever get finished building.

Would I be happy with an IO390 up front? Heck yes. Did it justify the extra expense. Not for me but that's all relative and personal.

People get weird and want to justify their choices as being best. Lots of good products and suppliers. You're the only one who will be right in the end.

Enjoy the research and related journey. Let us know what you choose.

Last edited:
Engine

Gentlemen

Thank you, I highly value your input.

Apparently the 119 EXP is ± 8 lbs lighter than the 200hp IO-360 but up to today I have not yet researched the 370/375.
Do you have any information on the weight of these engines?

I am also expecting a call from Jeff @Thunderbolt to pick his brain, I just hope to get as much information as possible to make up my mind.

Since Van announced the IO-390 approval for the 8A it has been my first choice but it is also quite a bit more for the extra 15 hp. The question here is, is it worth it or should I look closer to what i want out of the power plant.

The mission is xc, WA state, AL and TN, I want to fly 200mph @ 60-65% power and not run the engine hard.

Walter: I am very interested in your installation, would be willing to share a few pictures of your FWF as well as your panel? I am planning on one G3X touch 10" but instead of the 650 I am leaning toward the 375 with two comm radios.

You have to get it straight apples to apples to compare. If memory serves, it could be between 100 to 140 lbs depending on config.

One thing I'd recommend for strong consideration; regardless of who/what you go with, I'd suggest a counterweighted crank. Will cost a little more. Will weigh a little more. It will open up your propeller options (where you could easily get your money and weight savings back). Four bangers aren't smooth. Boring, stroking, higher CRs etc. compound these issues. Some prop manufacturers won't sell you some models without said crank. If an engine builder tries to talk you out of such, he probably can't offer that option. Take your money elsewhere.

Add that to the matrix of **** we're stirred up in your skull. Enjoy your weekend.

Edit = C.R.A.P gets auto deleted (above)? Wow

Engine

Walter, thank you, extremely helpful!

YO-235-EXP direct 118 HP @ 2800 RPM carburetor parallel valve 250 w/mags,fuel system,starter
YIO-235-EXP direct 115 HP @ 2800 RPM fuel injected parallel valve 250 w/mags,fuel system,starter
YO-320-D1A direct 160 HP @ 2700 RPM carburetor parallel valve 255 lbs w/ mags, fuel system, starter, CS
YIO-320-DIA direct 160 HP @ 2700 RPM injected parallel valve 270 lbs w/ mags, fuel system, starter
YO-320-D2G direct 160 HP @ 2700 RPM carburetor parallel valve 250 lbs w/ mags, fuel system, starter
YO-360-A1A direct 180 HP @ 2700 RPM carburetor parallel valve 285 lbs w/ mags, fuel system, starter
YO-360-A4M direct 180 HP @ 2700 RPM carburetor parallel valve 285 lbs w/ mags, fuel system, starter
YIO-360-M1B direct 180 HP @ 2700 RPM injected parallel valve 290 lbs w/ mags, fuel system, starter
YIO-360-A1B6 direct 200 HP @ 2700 RPM injected angle valve 325 lbs w/ mags, fuel system, starter
YIO-390-A3B6 direct 210 HP @ 2700 RPM injected angle valve 315 lbs w/ mags, fuel system, starter
YIO-390-EXP (10:1 CR) direct 220 HP @ 2700 RPM injected angle valve 315 lbs w/ mags, fuel system, starter
YIO-540-D4A5 direct 260 HP @ 2700 RPM injected parallel valve 400 lbs w/ mags, fuel system, starter
YIO-580-B1A direct 315 HP @ 2700 RPM injected angle valve 440 lbs w/ mags, fuel system, starter
YIO-580-B1A (10:1 CR) direct 320 HP @ 2700 RPM injected angle valve 440 lbs w/ mags, fuel system, starter

I have reached the point in my build where I have to make the engine decision and I would like to get input from the VAF experts. I am building an 8A and I am looking at the 200hp IO-360 and the IO-390 119 EXP. I am also aware that Van's does not support an 8A FWF for the 119 EXP yet. Also, just to make it more interesting, is the Thunderbolt option worth the additional $$. This 8A is purposely build for light aerobatics and xc to visit my grand kids.

Read through other threads on this forum and you will find loads of good information. There are lots of opinions and no real "right answer." Very few people have meaningful time time behind the various engine/propeller combinations so it's difficult to get an objective opinion. Your mission and budget will likely be a critical input to your decision. The various engine builders are also excellent resources (Barrett Precision Engines, Aero Sport Power, etc).

The IO375 is the same size as the IO370. Just a slightly different name.

They are both 371 cuin........

Ok, then. If the Titan IO-0370 and ASP IO-375 are actually the same displacement and fundamentally the same engine, where are the differences? Can any objective third parties give me reasons for one over the other?

This would be for installation in an 8. James Cowl. Dual EMags. Three blade Catto. Fuel Injection.

-8A Engine Choices

-8A with nearly 1300 hours in nine years. 1122 lbs. Went with an Aerosport IO-360 180 HP after weighing the advantages/disadvantages of 200HP.

No regrets - plenty of power, reasonable economy, good FWF kit, and great support from Aerosport.

Back