What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rv-6 rudder trim question?

Natesguns

I'm New Here
Just purchased a -6 and when in flight it needs just a bit of extra right rudder. The trim tab is already correcting for the issue but it needs a bit more to fly ball centered. My issue is the peddles aren't centered during flight and this is driving me crazy. Any advice or easy fixes are welcome. Of course when climbing or taking off it is even more pronounced. Almost need 3/4 right rudder during take off and climb. 0320 150 hp. Nothing overkill. Climbing at 80mph at 1,000 fpm give or take.

There are two short links connecting the ends of the rudder cables to the pedal assemblies.

You could make new links for one side only and change the cable effective length to center the pedals.

That's what i would do (adjust cable links). It is normal to have to hold more right rudder in climb. Balance the cable links for cruise flight.

Rudder

As everyone stated: center your pedals and then get a rudder trim wedge from Avery. You can experiment with size (by cutting it down smaller) until you get the trim you need at cruise. Then you can paint it and apply it with double sticky tape (3M) and some of the UHMW tape on the edges to curl around back of the rudder trailing edge.
You can also put it up high or down low on the rudder trailing edge to get more or less effectiveness. The combinations are almost endless.
Mine was about 3 inches long towards the bottom 1/3 of the rudder (right above elevators). 180hp and C/S prop and flew feet off the pedals at cruise.

Back