What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rosie & Tuppergal?s Caribbean Trip 2015

there's no place like home! welcome home. :)
P1010595.jpg

P1010582.jpg

Ya home

According to SPOT you are home. Thanks for letting us follow along on a great adventure, and get jealous!

According to SPOT you are home. Thanks for letting us follow along on a great adventure, and get jealous!

Yes Mike & Turbo; WE ARE HOME and so are ALL OF OUR WONDERFUL FRIENDS who joined us on this adventure!!

I'm just now in the house at 1900 PDT, and there is NO WAY I can get a proper story of today's flight up tonight....

I will update today's flying...tomorrow!

Keep poundin' them rivets because it's ALL worth it! Rosie & Tuppergal

Last edited:
Amazing!

Simply amazing what a human is capable of with enough willpower, determination and perseverance!

That we're empowered to accomplish these things in a God-given country that encourages the best in all of us.

Congratulations to all the travelers.

Best,

What a trip...and thanks for sharing...

I only have four words to add: "AMAZING...and THANK YOU!":D

Day 25: Dallas to Rosamond Skypark

Hi All,
It’s the LAST travel day of our vacation…Day 25…and we are ready to ‘be home’…it’s just a LONG WAY (>100nm) home to L00 (Rosamond Skypark near Edwards Air Force Base):

Caribbean_891.jpg

Sharkbait showed up after a visit to see his Aunt who lived near a different airport not far from Aero Country. We both were able to fill up the planes from the Buono’s personal fuel pump. With our goodbyes said, they gave us a good send-off: Eric (Alina's brother), Alina Buono, Shannon (sister in law), Aiden (nephew) and Dave Buono:

Caribbean_892.jpg

And Taco/Belle's newly-built home:

Caribbean_893.jpg

We departed a 2-ship for home with Sharkbait flying to Minden-Tahoe (MEV) airport:

Caribbean_894.jpg

Do Texans LOVE their airports or what?!?

Caribbean_895.jpg

We said goodbye to Sharkbait shortly after takeoff as he flew towards Cedar City (Utah) and we flew towards Plainview (PVW). We had BEAUTIFUL weather ahead:

Caribbean_896.jpg

Texas has some unique colors and such:

Caribbean_897.jpg

Caribbean_898.jpg

In less than two (2) hours, we were on the downline to Plainview:

Caribbean_899.jpg

...then base to final for Runway 22:

Caribbean_900.jpg

Last edited:

Plainview has always been one of our favorite stops on the outbound leg home as they have friendly people there, easy in, easy out and always great prices on 100LL:

Caribbean_901.jpg

After fueling, we were again westbound towards New Mexico:

Caribbean_902.jpg

Our course took us just south of Cannon AFB (CVS):

Caribbean_903.jpg

This was interesting…

Caribbean_904.jpg

Crossing the Pecos River:

Caribbean_905.jpg

We are starting to see more and more windmills in New Mexico:

Caribbean_906.jpg

As we approached the terrain south of Albuquerque, we started seeing more and more clouds:

Caribbean_907.jpg

This is looking north towards Albuquerque:

Caribbean_908.jpg

We were started to see the virga showers all around us and had to deviate southwest for a bit to get around some of it. We ended us back on course westbound which took us over Show Low airport (SOW):

Caribbean_909.jpg

Caribbean_910.jpg

Last edited:

Once through the ‘hole’, we were home-free and continued on to Payson (PAN) for lunch:

Caribbean_911.jpg

In just over three (3) hours, Payson was off the nose:

Caribbean_912.jpg

Caribbean_913.jpg

Over Show Low, I was able to get a text off to the Logan Family…Back in college, I used to date Diane Logan, and here Dad, John and the entire Logan family are the reason that I own a boat to this day (now 36 summers!). After all these years, we are all great friends and we always call them and hope at least one or more of the Logan-Clan can sit with us to eat. Here’s John Logan waiting our arrival:

Caribbean_914.jpg

If you are hungry and in the vicinity of Sedona, I highly recommend you stop in to eat at the Crosswinds Restaurant!

Caribbean_915.jpg

The rest of the Logan family was busy with other things so we enjoyed a good meal and great visit with John. I again thanked him for getting me involved with boating; we are now on our third boat since 1980.

We loaded up and took off on our last leg home...Here’s the Mogollon Rim looking north:

Caribbean_916.jpg

More nice weather ahead…except that you can’t see the wind this we KNOW is ahead!

Caribbean_917.jpg

Lake Havasu:

Caribbean_918.jpg

I flew into Lake Havasu weeks after getting my license in 1979. The old airport used to be here on the peninsula. You can still see the outline of the runway and taxiway:

Caribbean_919.jpg

Looking north towards Needles and Bullhead City/Laughlin:

Caribbean_920.jpg

Last edited:

More clear skies ahead:

Caribbean_921.jpg

A new water-ski lake next to Interstate 15 east of Barstow:

Caribbean_922.jpg

The Marine Corp Logistics Base near Barstow:

Caribbean_923.jpg

The big train yard in Barstow:

Caribbean_924.jpg

Elvis lives!

Caribbean_925.jpg

El Mirage Dry Lakebed, located west of the old George AFB:

Caribbean_926.jpg

We know we are home when we are abeam Edwards AFB:

Caribbean_927.jpg

A four (4) mile, wide left base (for the overhead approach) to runway 26 at Rosamond Skypark (L00):

Caribbean_928.jpg

Turning left downwind with our house in sight:

Caribbean_929.jpg

And the last landing that concluded our Caribbean 2015 adventure!

Caribbean_930.jpg

Last edited:

Here's the summary of Day 25's flying from the Dallas area to Southern California:

Aero Country to Plainview: 2.0 hrs
Plainview to Payson (for lunch): 3.2 hrs
Payson to Rosamond Skypark: 2.3 hours
Total Hobbs for today: 7.5 hours
On the watch: ~9 hrs

TOTAL HOBBS HOURS FOR 3 WEEKS AWAY FROM HOME ON OUR CARIBBEAN FLYING ADVENTURE: 67.0 Hrs
TOTAL COST: Priceless!!

Home.jpg

Home1.jpg

Home2.jpg

Thanks to my buddy Dave Huhman who rode out to take this picture as we arrived and started to climb out of the plane, 'headset-hair' and all:

Home3.jpg

Caribbean_931.jpg

Our 'kids' Holly and Sable:

Caribbean_932.jpg

Home at last...

Caribbean_933.jpg

Think about it....
Friday morning, we were in St. Kitts, and by Friday night, we were in the Bahamas...
Saturday night, we were in Dallas, Texas
Sunday night, we ARE in Southern California...HOME...all because of this airplane we call an R-V!!!!!

Home4.jpg

We had our share of mechanical issues, but I've found they are more of an inconvenience, ESPECIALLY if you built your plane...because you know exactly what's wrong and how to fix it!

Who would want to fly a trip like this by themselves??? NOT US!

I want to thank my RV family of friends for joining us as we had the best of times with all of you along!!!

Alpha Flight:
Gene & Janet Larsen
Dan & Diane West

Bravo Flight:
Scott & Tanya Card
Dave & Alina Buono
Jeff Jackson and Staci Stroud

Charlie Flight:
Doug & Gale Dodson
Scott Loftin
Roger & Sue Hansen

And of course, Delta Flight....our longtime, over-water traveling companion and "I'm flying to South America RVer", Andrew "Sharkbait" Brandt and Crystal Cooper.

Jimmyb & Vicki, Kubota & Gerri, Keys, Jailbird & Indira, Seismo & Red, Scottie & Deb, Condor: YOU ALL WERE MISSED!!!!!!

Don Hull & Daryl Tolliver: Thank you for keeping track of us as you always do!

Don Oberlander: We'll meet for lunch next time!

As long as the FAA deems me fit-to-fly, Tuppergal and I will continue flying to the West Indies and Caribbean Sea...every 'odd' year!

Lastly, Alpha/Bravo/Charlie/Delta flights have to THANK YOU ALL FOR FOLLOWING ALONG!!!

Keep poundin' them rivets because it truly is, hands down, no doubt about it... ALL WORTH IT!!!!! Rosie & Tuppergal

Caribbean_934.jpg

From Scott & Deb Mills:

"In order to discover new lands one must have the courage to lose sight of the shore." Andre Gide

Last edited:
"The great Motivator

Many things motivate and inspire me to keep my project going but work, family and any number of other issues have always tried to slow or stop my dream completely.
There have been moments when I actually tallyed up what my project was worth parted out and considered moving on. Then comes Rosie's and Tupergals bi-annual RV adventure and everything falls into place and my dream is regenerated. This years trip is no exception. In fact their coverage this year has been exceptional. This is the point where I start figuring if it's possible to complete "822 Papa Mike " and actually join them and their team on one of their journeys. That may or may not ever happen but just want to thank Rosie and Tupergal for taking a lot of time and effort to share their RV adventures with the rest of us dreamers and showing everyone what possible to achieve with a completed flying RV aircraft.:)

It's no wonder that Paul was awarded Flying Mag's Bax Seat Trophy at AirVenture in 2004. His enthusiasm and excitement for everything RV
is still as vibrant today as it was back then. There is no better ambassador
and motivator for building and flying your own plane as Rosie. Bravo!

In the air and under the water. Rosie, how does it feel to drive a car again? Kinda weird? Can't move in three dimensions.... limited. I really liked the write up.

i have no idea how you get all that stuff in your plane. you are not only a great pilot but a magician too. :)

i guess if you stay under water enough its hard to get a sunburn. ;)

2017 will be here before you know it. :cool:

P1010500.jpg

I cry foul. Is that a can of peanuts that made it all the way home?!

NO SCOOT! That's an EMPTY can of peanuts that was filled with many breakable 'trinkets' wrapped in toilet paper!!!!! Rosie

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Home

And the last landing that concluded our Caribbean 2015 adventure!

Caribbean_930.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Another great adventure for the books, and more pins in the map. You are an inspiration to us all. Welcome home.

I've been following these trips every year for the last few years and yet again had a blast following along with this one.

Thank you for the distraction at work :D

Many things motivate and inspire me to keep my project going but work, family and any number of other issues have always tried to slow or stop my dream completely.
There have been moments when I actually tallyed up what my project was worth parted out and considered moving on. Then comes Rosie's and Tupergals bi-annual RV adventure and everything falls into place and my dream is regenerated. This years trip is no exception. In fact their coverage this year has been exceptional. This is the point where I start figuring if it's possible to complete "822 Papa Mike " and actually join them and their team on one of their journeys. That may or may not ever happen but just want to thank Rosie and Tupergal for taking a lot of time and effort to share their RV adventures with the rest of us dreamers and showing everyone what possible to achieve with a completed flying RV aircraft.:)

Tom, You are the VERY REASON that I enjoy writing these stories; I was 'you' in the late 90's and Gary 'Condor' Sobek was ME...writing about all his travels around the USA, and I wanted to be HIM...and he kept ME motivated so that I did indeed become HIM. One day, you WILL join us and be HIM :D Rosie

It's no wonder that Paul was awarded Flying Mag's Bax Seat Trophy at AirVenture in 2004. His enthusiasm and excitement for everything RV
is still as vibrant today as it was back then. There is no better ambassador
and motivator for building and flying your own plane as Rosie. Bravo!

Tom (and Lori), you are true friends...all because we built an RV!!! Thank you for the kind words! Rosie

In the air and under the water. Rosie, how does it feel to drive a car again? Kinda weird? Can't move in three dimensions.... limited. I really liked the write up.

Funny you ask Steve...it DID feel weird getting into the car Monday morning and driving to work...I would prefer to still be on Island Time :) Rosie

I've been following these trips every year for the last few years and yet again had a blast following along with this one.

Thank you for the distraction at work :D

You are most welcome Eddie! I'm real glad you could enjoy this Down Under; thank you for following along :) Rosie

i have no idea how you get all that stuff in your plane. you are not only a great pilot but a magician too. :)

i guess if you stay under water enough its hard to get a sunburn. ;)

2017 will be here before you know it. :cool:

Magic Turbo...all Magic! Rosie

All I can say is WOW!!! What an AWESOME adventure and SUPERB write up.

:cool:

Thanks so much Galin!!! Rosie

Last edited by a moderator:
Back