What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear Leg Fairings

I used the raw Harmon rocket fairings Flyboy Accessories sells for ~150 (I have Grove lightweight legs).

Fairings Etc. sells upper intersection fairings for the Grove airfoil legs. I adapted these.

Last edited:
I used RV Bits on the lowers and Fairings Etc on the uppers.

Attachments

• 8FF65067-1C7A-4EC6-A46E-50056F402BBA.jpeg
    8FF65067-1C7A-4EC6-A46E-50056F402BBA.jpeg
    750.3 KB · Views: 262
I just bought a set (2 upper/2 lower) from Cleveland Tool for ~ $250. I debated on fabricating them but didn’t want to get into a messy project since I’m waiting for my AW inspection. I’ll update on ease of installation and fit when I get them.

Just curious, are the stock Vans fairings that bad or third party options that much better? I haven't gotten to that point yet so I still have the option to delete them from the finish kit.

Thanks

I am planning to make mine. It's going to be a bit messy but not worse than Proseal the tank.

Just curious, are the stock Vans fairings that bad or third party options that much better? I haven't gotten to that point yet so I still have the option to delete them from the finish kit.

Thanks

The finish kit doesn't come with gear leg intersection fairings, it does come with gear leg fairings. A lot of people make their own, but I bought some.

Thanks

I have used Vans (many times) & 2 other brand fairing kits on airframes I've dealt with. They all required adjusting in some way to get a fit I was happy with. I've also done the DIY route a few times, fit guaranteed, but was more time investment in their initial forming. Finishing the fairings to paint ready state was always the same time commitment, no matter if bought or DIY fairings, so comes down to how much of a 'building experience' you want.
Same with the tail intersection fairings.

Last edited:
I just got the fairings from Vans. I felt they were good quality and they fit nicely. I had to trim them and very lightly shape them with a heat gun (not much).

The downside is they are very thin, maybe 1/32". The instructions say to add 2 layers of cloth to them before cutting/shaping. Of course I didn't do it that way. I added the two layers which went ok but then I added a thick layer of micro-filled epoxy. I sanded 99% of that off but the result is that my nose fairing went from very flexible to so stiff that I can't even open it anymore. I think I need to try again :(

I'm sure the error was mine, too much epoxy probably. The fairings are pretty good and available.

I can't find the rv bits ones.

First photo is the fit as received - pretty good!
Second photo is after trimming, very minor heat gun action
Third photo is the nose gear fairing after I ruined it by putting too much fiberglass or epoxy or something on it.
Hope this helps Jay!

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 254
  • Picture2.png
    Picture2.png
    791.5 KB · Views: 338
  • Picture3.png
    Picture3.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Here’s the first fitting right off the UPS truck today. I’m pleased with the initial fit.

Attachments

• F259B424-4FC8-4EFA-A4BC-F6C344384868.jpg
    F259B424-4FC8-4EFA-A4BC-F6C344384868.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
Fuselage gear leg fairings

I am trying to fit Vans intersection fairings and there is up to a 3/4” gap in the front, how far can I expect the heat gun to move the fiberglass ?A714C72C-2009-4BED-8D8F-D71AC7F82A50.jpg

038487AA-1AE9-4445-B78C-04264B82CAAB.jpg

TIA, Kirk

I used RVBits upper and lower on my 8. The lowers fit very well but I never could get a good fit with uppers and had to make them myself.

I am trying to fit Vans intersection fairings and there is up to a 3/4” gap in the front, how far can I expect the heat gun to move the fiberglass ?

Heat gun will move it some depending on curvature and thickness. A great thing about fiberglass is that area that doesn’t fit right just cut it off and lay up some new plies to blend it to make fit perfectly. Pretty easy to do and the little extra hassle will pay dividends in happiness on how it looks.

I am trying to fit Vans intersection fairings and there is up to a 3/4” gap in the front, how far can I expect the heat gun to move the fiberglass ?

Not far enough. Throw them in the trash and lay up your own.

Read Ralph's comment. Finishing time is fundamentally the same for fabricated and store-bought. The difference is time/effort spent on an initial layup. Purchased fairings only save time if they fit straight from the box. If modification is required there is no saved time, and the end result is often worse.

It's not hard.
-

Attachments

• Pant Fairing Foam.jpg
    Pant Fairing Foam.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 331
  • Pant fairing Shaped.jpg
    Pant fairing Shaped.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 303
  • Pant fairing Glassed.jpg
    Pant fairing Glassed.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 332
  • Leg and Pant.jpg
    Leg and Pant.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 364
Im going to work on my intersection fairings this winter. I have some that I got from the company in South Africa - I cant remember the name. They dont fit great but I think I can cut and shape them to work.

My question is the size. They look like they will make a nice molded shape but pretty big. The last picture Dan just posted shows the aluminum leg fairing and very small intersection piece. Is there a benefit other than weight to have the intersection as small as possible or built it out to appear to have less drag?

I am rethinking my intersection fairings and considering making them as small as I can as long as it is smooth and hopefully cuts drag.

Attached from Hoerner's Fluid Dynamic Drag.

If the optimum radius is 4 to 8% of chord, there isn't much virtue in a fat fairing. There may be some virtue in extending the tail of the fairing as it joins the pant or fuselage.

I'm a layperson. Steve Smith would have a lot of expertise in this area.

Attachments

• Strut Intersections1.jpg
    Strut Intersections1.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 251
  • Strut Intersections2.jpg
    Strut Intersections2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 309
Dan, is that leg fairing polished al or a wrap? I think I will get mine all fit and then do a wrap. That looks great. This is a video of my first real solo

Check out all 3 legs in this video. It is my first solo take off and landings so dont be too critical. I know I need more back pressure to keep the nose wheel lighter but I was surprised at the main gear legs movement. It is fun getting my license in a plane I built!

If I dont get better I am for sure going to put the new motor-gear mount on! Ha! I will get a new video and see if I can keep the nose off earlier and longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TewJjnnrMI

Hi Dan.

Great looking finish.

So to confirm the process:

With some releasing tape already applied to the gear legs, you put on a few blobs of expanding foam, while the spats are in situ.

Shape and sand to get the final shape you’re happy with.

Apply the glass straight over the shaped foam? Many layers?

Cut the two halves of the spat through your new fairing?

Cheers, Ben

Back