What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EZ - BUCK Bucking Bars

HFS

Well Known Member
Another DIY idea for bucking rivets in those hard to reach, inconvenient locations - like the narrow space at the leading edges of the vertical & horizontal stabs, closing out the wing skins by yourself, etc. Or?

By having "indexing" holes in the bar that accommodate an adjacent cleo; and, having the bar long enough to span a single (or double) rivet "pitch", you simply locate the bar over the cleo, push the bar against the adjacent web, and hold it against the rivet shank - then drive rivet. Almost all variables associated with holding the bar correctly in restricted or hidden locations are taken away, and your attention can be focused on the driving process only.

As an added benefit, since the bar remains stationary during the driving process, you can mark the "target" area with black magic marker, which gets "erased" by the setting of the rivet, leaving in indication of the size and shape of the bucked head. A simple solution for checking bucked head quality in restricted spaces.

The drawing shown below is pretty "raw" - done in 1995, but you get the idea.

The bars shown are tungsten and were made for me by Midwest Tungsten Service many years ago - these have gotten way to expensive at today's prices. My early prototypes were made from simple mild steel - A36 1 x 2, they worked just fine, only a little light on mass - hence going to the tungsten.

If there is any interest in MYO - I have the drawings I made and will send/post them if requested.

YMMV - And probably will!

HFS

Attachments

• EZ - BUCK.jpg
    EZ - BUCK.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 370
  • EZ - BUCK Pic .jpg
    EZ - BUCK Pic .jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 416
  • EZ - BUCK Drwg. 1995.jpg
    EZ - BUCK Drwg. 1995.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 359
Larry, I don't believe that David's bucking bars were intended to hold a die, though they could do that too if needed.

David left out a couple of points that you can see in the photo:
1) the cord on the right bar can be put on your wrist so you don't drop the bar and dent something.
2) the edge of the bars are milled down to allow the rivet to align properly before driving, and to help judge the bucktail height so you don't overdrive them.

David, please correct me if I misspoke here.

Bucking bars

Larry, I don't believe that David's bucking bars were intended to hold a die, though they could do that too if needed.

David left out a couple of points that you can see in the photo:
1) the cord on the right bar can be put on your wrist so you don't drop the bar and dent something.
2) the edge of the bars are milled down to allow the rivet to align properly before driving, and to help judge the bucktail height so you don't overdrive them.

David, please correct me if I misspoke here.

Just joking! I'm happy he has a cool product.
Hope he gets rich and famous.

Back