What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 Unknown Source of Heat

Majorpayne317641

Well Known Member
Hi,

I was flying today cross country to ferry my new to me RV8 home. I noticed that even though it was 70 outside I was feeling like it was 90 in the cockpit. I checked the cabin heat, that just produced more heat and from a different area. I'm feeling heat coming from the right side near the rudder pedals on my legs. Is this because the firewall is not thermally sealed? Would HVAC style 3M tape in the baggage bay help? I noticed that bay was also hot. Even after cruising at 50 f OAT.. Thanks.

insulate

firstly, make sure the cabin heat door is closing properly and if so then, insulate the firewall to get rid of the heat. this is ceramic insulation, no binder, wrapped in alum foil. 1000 hrs, perfect condition.

insulate.png

Last edited:
Thanks, is there a name for this stuff or is it generic? The heat transfer through the metal was there, but I also felt air, best way to describe is there is a square sheet metal box area by my right leg, with a opening below that, the air seemed to be coming from that spot. The cabin heat did close, in fact there would be no air blowing on my left leg when it is shut.

something like this from McMaster Carr, but without the binder, this one has binder. I don't see it listed anymore without the binder. It is good stuff.

you don't want a binder because if you have a fire the binder will burn and create smoke.

https://www.mcmaster.com/93315K34/

For Use On Ovens and Furnaces
Insulation Type Sheet/Strip
Backing Type Plain
Thickness 1"
Width 24"
Length 25 ft.
Temperature., °F
Min. Not Rated
Maximum 2150°
R Value 1
Heat Flow Rate 1 Btu @ 800° F
Density 4 lbs./cu. ft.
Material Alumina Silica Ceramic Fiber
Color White
Flexibility Flexible
Features With Binder
Specifications Met UL 723 0/0 for Flame and Smoke
RoHS RoHS 3 (2015/863/EU) Compliant
REACH REACH (EC 1907/2006) (07/08/2021, 219 SVHC) Compliant
DFARS Specialty Metals COTS-Exempt
Country of Origin United States
USMCA Qualifying No
Schedule B 680610.0000
ECCN EAR99

Last edited:
If you're going to insulate the firewall, put it on the hot side. Insulating the inside is like wearing your raincoat under your clothes.

agreed, insulating the aft side of the firewall is a second best approach to insulating the fwd side. insulating the fwd side will provide better fire protection.

Back