What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Corrosion affected QB Wing Kit

SBendl

My QB Wings are shipped. I’ll get them in August. Did some of you already get corrosion affected kits? I’m curious about what awaits me

Last edited:
Merely a question

For those considering accepting a QB kit affected by corrosion, would you mind sharing the logic in your decision?

I’m having trouble understanding why anyone would take 1-2% of the total cost of a build (the $2000 stipend) knowing they were possibly starting out with a compromised kit.

I know the delay in getting a new build QB kit may be extensive, so maybe getting a SB kit instead might be a better choice? Simply asking.

It’s not the money.
I accepted the kit because I’m quite sure I’m able to handle the issues and want to have the chance to complete the build in acceptable time range.
If I changed my order to SB, my order would have been handled as a new placement and I would be at the and of the queue with it.

It’s not the money.
If I changed my order to SB, my order would have been handled as a new placement and I would be at the and of the queue with it.

I went through this several months ago and spoke with Greg Hughes. Your placement does not go to the bottom of the queue if you change your order to a SB. He spoke with the people in kit orders that day since they were giving different information. This should be cleared up now.

I went through this several months ago and spoke with Greg Hughes. Your placement does not go to the bottom of the queue if you change your order to a SB. He spoke with the people in kit orders that day since they were giving different information. This should be cleared up now.
I got different information. However my QB are shipped…

I got different information. However my QB are shipped…

I ordered my QB wings 10/08/2020 and had a create date of June 6th 2021. This of course has slipped due to the primer issues. Can you tell me when you put in your order and when your original crate was? I am trying to get an estimate as to when I might receive my QB kit. That said, I have elected to not to take the stipend and will be receiving a QB w/o the suspect primer.

Congrats on your soon to be delivered QB kit.

Thanks,
Jim

My original order date was Sep 2020 with estimated crate dates for the QB wings and fuselage in June 2021. In May I accepted affected wings because I was told the estimated delivery for unaffected wings would likely be early next year. There was not an affected fuselage available and I expected to wait until early next year for an unaffected one. As it turns out, my fuselage is on its way and I expect it to arrive mid-October.

A turn of events has delayed me mitigating the corrosion on the wings, but is appears very manageable. I have throughly inspected them and the corrosion is minimal.

I am looking for help finding spray equipment to reapply the corrosion protection within the wing. I need some sort of wand, roughly 42"long, with a 360 degree spray nozzle, sutible for the Sherwin Willams was primmer.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Can someone summarize (or link me) the cause and symptoms of this QB corrosion issue? I know its been a big disruptor of deliveries, but I'm not clear on the actual issue.

Thanks!
G

Thank you Alex!

This thread indicates that Vans 'changed primers' during this event. Does that mean they are no longer applying SW P60G2 on QB kits? If so, does anyone know what they switched to? (sorry if all of this is re-tread. I'm trying to get caught up ;) )

Regards,
G

Last edited:
Thank you Alex!

This thread indicates that Vans 'changed primers' during this event. Does that mean they are no longer applying SW P60G2 on QB kits? If so, does anyone know what they switched to? (sorry if all of this is re-tread. I'm trying to get caught up ;) )

Regards,
G

From what I understand Vans did not change primers. The manufacturer changed an ingredient in the primer. I do not know what the correction was to that issue.

My QB Fuselage will end up being delivered about 13 months later than expected. Dec21 plus or Minus Vs. Nov 2020.

I elected not to take delivery of a fix it yourself QB for several reasons. The Fix it yourself QB kits only had issues on fixable surfaces according to Vans.

1. How can mating surfaces be inspected to clear them of issues? I assume some form of Non Destructive Inspection but I have not heard that this was done. Even if these surfaces passed an NDI was corrosion just starting and not yet significant enough for detection.

2. In the future I did not want having a "bad batch" used in my build to effect resale value.

3. How does one know for certain that mating surfaces do not have undetected corrosion.

4. If the Primer in question was bad, how is old primer removed from mating surfaces for new primer? As far as I know it can't be, so is there a higher likelihood for future corrosion?

Too many unknowns for me.

Hello,

Wondering when the QB corrosion occurred. It would be good to know the shipping date of the problem because I have a QB flying. The QB was shipped probably 2 years ago (details deep in my build files).

Any assistance welcome.

John

Hello,

Wondering when the QB corrosion occurred. It would be good to know the shipping date of the problem because I have a QB flying. The QB was shipped probably 2 years ago (details deep in my build files).

Any assistance welcome.

John

John,

You should be OK if you received your QB 2 years ago. Search Van's site for their published letter on the subject. They review dates clearly with an explanation of what went wrong. My QB was delivered 1 1/2 years ago and I know the issue occurred after this time as mine was not affected.

Back