What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Builder Introduction

MajorSTI

Hello!
Just wanted to introduce myself. I just returned from OSH today where I spent a week in airplane mecca with my son (our 3rd trip). I wanted to highlight 2 exciting things that happened while I was at OSH. On Monday, I purchased the RV-8 empennage kit and the second highlight was getting a Van's demo ride in a RV-7A from Mike (can't recall his last name). So I am now officially a RV-8 builder and I still have the "RV Grin".
I was saving my pennies to start the build process and wanted to purchase the 1st kit while at OSH this year (sadly there was no show discount, but that's okay. Supply and demand and all that.). Also, I had never flown/ridden in an RV of any type and thanks to Vans Aircraft...specifically Sterling and Mike...I finally have flown an RV. To the ATC'er that told Mike he expected a sale after the go around we had to accomplish to avoid the Cessna Skymaster that was also on final... Expectation met! Well, I had all but made up my mind I was going to build the -8, but I had to sit in one, etc to finalize that decision.
Now I have to wait 4 months for the kit. Too bad Cleaveland Tools (or Planetools) wasn't at OSH this year...I was ready to purchase tools too.

Chris

Welcome!

Welcome aboard, Chris… you have impeccable taste! :D
Now that you a few months before the empennage arrives, you have time to get the shop in order and get those tools in hand. You can also start reading up on the vans instructions and maybe take an EAA build class if there is one in your area… but get ready as those shiny metal parts will be here before you know it! Congratulations… your odyssey has begun!

Welcome Chris! I see you also have an interest in motocross. I am a fully-recovered motocross racer/addict, and I can say that flying my RV-8 gives me the same feeling as the first time I cleared gnarly triple - and it's a lot safer. :)

Update:
Received my builder number in August and ordered/received the thumb drive with the plans shortly after. I just ordered the tool kit from planetools.com this weekend. Still no update on empennage kit delivery but I don't really expect one anytime soon. Also ordered the practice kit from Vans. Still need to prepare/clean the garage and buy some tools from the box stores (drill press, band saw, etc). Now I can start saving my pennies for the wing kit.
Can't wait to get started. Oh and I donated to this forum--I lurk here enough.

Read ahead!

Hey Chris,

I completed my build a couple years back….I miss building! Make sure you read other RV8 build logs to see what those builders had challenges with and to see some great tips…some amazing builders share their talents and experiences that I certainly put to good use.

Good luck and enjoy the process…the good and the mistakes!

Don

Back