What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GoPro 10 - "Torture Test" comparison

Thanks for the videos! I have a 9 black so far and am enjoying playing with it. It's clear that GoPro keeps upping their game.

How do you start the cameras? Remote or smartphone? or just power on prior to engine start? I've had come connectivity issues between the phone and the camera when it's under the wing, like yours.

Also, what do you use for the vibration reduction settings? The 9 at least has a "boost" setting beyond on/off. I've found some interesting visual artifacts when flying the pattern; the vibe reduction tends to want to lock onto part of the scene during the turns, then do an inelegant unlock and slew to a new center position.

I typically turn the cameras on prior to startup...recently I added USB ports under the wings (tied into the wingtip nav lights) to overcome the battery limitations.

I haven't had any luck with starting them with my phone, and a friend who has a 7 has the official GoPro remote, no luck with that either.

I use the "boost" setting, but not the wing leveling.

Hope this helps! Thanks for watching

I hope one day Gopro adds a "dashcam" mode like all the $50 action cams out there - they just start recording when they get power.

I hope one day Gopro adds a "dashcam" mode like all the $50 action cams out there - they just start recording when they get power.

It turns out that they do now! You can update your (relatively new) GoPro with a beta firmware build that allows, among other things, to start/stop recording when the external USB power is applied/removed.

I wired up power from my nav light circuit to feed the camera and tested the new feature (enabled when the camera reads a custom QR code) ... works great, and the battery stays nicely charged, too.

https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/usb/

Turns out this 12V to 5V dc-dc converter (to supply 5V USB power to the camera) mounts perfectly onto the two tooling holes across the spar at the end of my -7 wing. No new holes needed.

Attachments

• IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 84
It turns out that they do now! You can update your (relatively new) GoPro with a beta firmware build that allows, among other things, to start/stop recording when the external USB power is applied/removed.

I wired up power from my nav light circuit to feed the camera and tested the new feature (enabled when the camera reads a custom QR code) ... works great, and the battery stays nicely charged, too.

https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/usb/

Turns out this 12V to 5V dc-dc converter (to supply 5V USB power to the camera) mounts perfectly onto the two tooling holes across the spar at the end of my -7 wing. No new holes needed.
Looks good, Bill! Thanks for the update.

Have you been able to detect any electrical noise from this power converter?

One of the reasons I gave up on any kind of video work is that, in our norther climate, camera batteries just don't last long enough to be meaningful. Being able to power the unit reliably via its USB port would be a pretty terrific upgrade, as would the "dashcam mode".

Back