What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV luncheon in Oceano, Ca

Lemos

I have done a horrible job of meeting other RV owners and I want to change that. If I arrange an RV get together luncheon in Oceano, L52, would you show up?

I’d come down too, but the wx would have to work out. VFR only here, and I would have to deal with potential fog on both ends .. KHAF an L52

In general, I find that events like this are best organized not by asking if people would come, but rather just picking a date, posting it here, and see who comes.

So, pick a date and tell us what time to be there, and no doubt a number of us will head on over!

I was at Oceano for the first time last week. Had a great time! (Thanks to whoever made that recommendation:) There is a fenced camping area for pilots adjacent to the parking area. There are bicycles available but the beach is only a short walk away. As is lodging and food...

While my plane isn't done yet, once complete this is something we would absolutely be in for (weather and schedule) permitting.

I'm in as well!

... Saturdays are best time for these get togethers, as most are off and open!
We need more of this type of events wile we are still allowed to fly our airplanes. Thanks Allan...:D

Absolutely great airport. Especially camping there on the 4th of July. Walk to the beach and enjoy the fireworks. Done it a couple of times. You are right the rock and roll diner has good food.

Talked to Bob, and weather and visibility permitting, two little RV sardine cans would add our names to the list.

When does the onshore fog finally stop showing up, and or burn off, since this airport is right on the beach?

Lot of fond memories of this airport, my CFI made this my first XC Dual for flight planning lessons and destination.

Last edited:
It was clear yesterday— with a 10kt wind.

Please remember in a few weeks — Bakersfield EAA FLY-IN Saturday May 15,2021

Good time to talk to RV guys into flying to Oceano.

Attachments

• 33F70E29-E8EC-466D-884D-7E0CF392F376.jpg
    33F70E29-E8EC-466D-884D-7E0CF392F376.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 148
My vote for trying to get the best weather is September 4th at 10am or so. Maybe we make it happen regardless of Lemos's participation?? I'm sure if a few of us agree on a date/time plenty will show up.

Sounds great! I’ll put out the word around Whiteman Airport…about 15-20 RVs based here….:D

3 pages in, and no date or details yet???

Hanging out in SBA to get out of the smoke. Local flight for us now. Set it up! We will come.

Edit: just realized this was an old post back from the dead. Regardless, we are still up for a fly out.

I'd like to be there. My -7 is still a project in the garage, so I hope no one waves me off if I show up in a warrior.

Coming in from Lancaster, CA (KWJF).

I'd like to be there. My -7 is still a project in the garage, so I hope no one waves me off if I show up in a warrior.

Coming in from Lancaster, CA (KWJF).

There's a good chance that my 14 will still be in Idaho, so I'm likely to come in my Bonanza. I suspect that nobody will mind...

No can do here...you picked a holiday weekend, so we already have a 4-day weekend trip planned. :(

Maybe next time...

Went down for Oceano for movie night this weekend. It was 200ovc except at night. Had to fly into KSBP and get a ride down. Fun place though nice camping area. Free bikes to use (lower your expectations though).

FYI

When it is hot here in the Central Valley (today forecasted to be `108-110*), the coast is usually ovc - like yesterday. I flew over L52 just for something to do - didn't see anything.

Hope for milder wx here come Sept., and should be fine over there.

Just Sayin'

HFS

Weather in Oceano has been very bad. I don’t want any VFR pilots trying to style vfr into Oceano with bad weather. Should we cancel or postpone this flyin?

I do not think WE should cancel. It’s still almost two weeks out. If the weather is VFR, we will be there…if it’s IMC, we will not. Forecasts show sunny (VFR ) after 8/25 and beyond……

Weather in Oceano has been very bad. I don’t want any VFR pilots trying to style vfr into Oceano with bad weather. Should we cancel or postpone this flyin?

Cancel a coastal fly in 2 weeks out because of fog? The weather forecasts are wrong about the times the fog burns off 24 hours in advance. Give me a break.

The smoke around Tahoe, that’s another story….

A Rocket tried to go there for lunch today from here 90 miles east and he said they turned around due to low visibility due to smoke and haze. Fyi

San Luis Obispo is a good lunch spot for a backup if someone can’t get into Oceano.

A Rocket tried to go there for lunch today from here 90 miles east and he said they turned around due to low visibility due to smoke and haze. Fyi

San Luis Obispo is a good lunch spot for a backup if someone can’t get into Oceano.

That settles it. Due to risky and trechsrous flying conditions, the Oceano luncheon is cancelled. I just can’t be responsible for people flying in with fog and smoke in the area. The last thing we need is an rv crashing while flying in bad weather and starting a fire when the state is already burning up.

That settles it. Due to risky and trechsrous flying conditions, the Oceano luncheon is cancelled. I just can’t be responsible for people flying in with fog and smoke in the area. The last thing we need is an rv crashing while flying in bad weather and starting a fire when the state is already burning up.

Uhmmmm, not sure how to take this comment. That aside, isn't everyone who might fly in acting as PIC, and responsible for their own aeronautical decision making?

Me, I'm still planning on getting up that morning, checking the weather, heading to the airport (if the wx looks ok), preflighting, checking the weather again, departing (if the wx still looks ok), arriving in the Oceano area, evaluating the fog and visibility conditions, and landing if everything looks ok. If something doesn't work out along the way, wouldn't be the first time in my flying where plans changed due to conditions. (Heck, I'm still trying to get to Half Moon Bay some time this summer......but the fog has not cooperated.)

Point is, YOU are not responsible for anyone's PIC decisions for suggesting a lunch fly-in.

Well said Steve. Agree 100%. See you there!,(weather permitting!):)

Last edited:

At least put a smilie after it. ;-)

Ed Holyoke

Heck, I'm still trying to get to Half Moon Bay some time this summer......but the fog has not cooperated.

Haha! I'm based at KHAF, and yes the fog this year has been atrocious. I'd have to win the toss twice times to make this trip work - I need VFR on both ends.

Been using the enforced hangar time to good use, though. I just upgraded my panel to be IFR-capable; now I need to get the ticket.

Still hope to see you all at L52 sometime soon.

Unless I end up having to fly for work, I’m planning to go to Oceano on Sept 4. Not sure yet whether I’ll be in the RV or the Debonair, but it’ll be in one of those two…

Two weeks away is way too far out to cancel a flight due to weather!

Back