What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1996 kit

Don Patrick

Well Known Member
Afternoon folks,

Does anyone know if the RV8 kits sent out in 96 are different than the ones sent out in 2010?

Looking at another 8 build and have an opportunity to pick up a kit.

Thanks

Don

Yes, but not a deal breaker.. the elevators have a slightly different counterweight configuration.. the skins may or may not be pre-punched (my rudder skin was, however, my elevator skins weren’t. Like the other guy said, you’ll have to build the wooden jig to build the components standing up, but the jig will also come in handy for building the wings later. Also, the main wing spars are thinner, and the aerobatic gross weight is 50 pounds higher with the “newer” -1 (dash one) wings. You also will have to purchase the two Service Bulletin kits for the tail beef up, one for the Horizontal spar doubler, and one for the Elevator spar doublers.

If the price is right, buy the kit and build it. If you are only buying the tail kit, then the rest of the plane will have the newer -1 wings when you get to buying them.

Last edited:
I don't know this for absolute fact but I think there's a good chance the wing is the 1550 acro-limit wing

Correct

From what I understand, prior to the dash 1, the max gross was 1550 pounds and the dash 1 is 1600.

What is a good ball park price for this wing and tail kit?

From what I understand, prior to the dash 1, the max gross was 1550 pounds and the dash 1 is 1600.

What is a good ball park price for this wing and tail kit?

Right. So what I'm saying is that you may have the 1550 wing given the age.

Center Section

Check with Van’s, but I think the center section used to ship as a matched set with the wings on the non -1 wings. If that’s the case make sure it comes with it.

Back