What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Napa To Half Moon Bay RV9 IFR

Nice Vid, Pete! IFR and handling camera angles, that is a real handful.

What is your camera list? I am sitting with a Garmin Virb ultra in the basket. I see you put the location close to the panel to get the button action.

Any general guidance as a newby dips his toe into videography?

Nice job

Great video. Being a fair weather pilot, it was actually educational for me. Looking fwd to return trip.
btw, nice plane.
danny

Nice Vid, Pete! IFR and handling camera angles, that is a real handful.

What is your camera list? I am sitting with a Garmin Virb ultra in the basket. I see you put the location close to the panel to get the button action.

Any general guidance as a newby dips his toe into videography?

I am still kinda new at this as well. I’m going to play with some more camera angles to see if I can capture the GRT panels better. In cockpit I use a gopro 6, 8, and was using a 360max hanging close to the gauges. Then a 360 outside on the wing. And power director 365 for the editing. The GoPro max’s let you edit the camera angles after the flight which is awesome as its just a set it and forget it while you fly.

Great video. Being a fair weather pilot, it was actually educational for me. Looking fwd to return trip.
btw, nice plane.
danny

Awesome to hear!! I am a pretty new IFR pilot so its fun to catch my mistakes and learn from them. Thanks for watching!!

Thanks for buzzing KHAF ... we're always happy to have visiting RVs.

The "weather" station you mentioned is actually a radar/tracking station for Vandenberg AFB. Can't really check it out beyond what you've already seen. Best views are from the air.

Great video; pretty sporty to go all the way out to GOBBS! Nearest from there is probably PHNL.

Thanks for buzzing KHAF ... we're always happy to have visiting RVs.

The "weather" station you mentioned is actually a radar/tracking station for Vandenberg AFB. Can't really check it out beyond what you've already seen. Best views are from the air.

Great video; pretty sporty to go all the way out to GOBBS! Nearest from there is probably PHNL.

LOL I had to look up Honolulu airport! Ya GOBBS is way out there and they always send me there on an approach from the North. Prob better to ask for vectors to keep me closer. Thanks for the clarification on the radar station. It is pretty cool looking!

Great video! You have a very nice IFR setup in your -9. That approach takes you a good distance away from the land and makes for a long swim if one has to ditch. My engine always makes funny noises every time I do that same approach!

Excellent flying, narration, and video

Very informative and educational video. Looking forward to next one.

Only comment would be to wear a life vest while flying offshore beyond glide range. There will not be time to dawn one at the altitude you were flying during an emergency. Ditching a tricycle RV if done perfectly will be a violent event. You mentioned hypothermia in your narration. Add to that problem being injured. There may be boats around to try to ditch near if you are in VMC but plan for the worse case.

The collar type is pretty comfortable and not to expensive. This advice comes via a friend who was a career Coast Guard helicopter pilot who I fly with occasionally. We fly to Catalina island off shore from So Cal and consider it essential equipment.

I watched the entire video, great job, really enjoyed the narration. If you had kept the "music" playing, I wouldn't have watched it. I can't stand music on airplane videos.:eek:

Great video! You have a very nice IFR setup in your -9. That approach takes you a good distance away from the land and makes for a long swim if one has to ditch. My engine always makes funny noises every time I do that same approach!

Very similar to the sounds of your first cross county solo! I know exactly what you mean!

Very informative and educational video. Looking forward to next one.

Only comment would be to wear a life vest while flying offshore beyond glide range. There will not be time to dawn one at the altitude you were flying during an emergency. Ditching a tricycle RV if done perfectly will be a violent event. You mentioned hypothermia in your narration. Add to that problem being injured. There may be boats around to try to ditch near if you are in VMC but plan for the worse case.

The collar type is pretty comfortable and not to expensive. This advice comes via a friend who was a career Coast Guard helicopter pilot who I fly with occasionally. We fly to Catalina island off shore from So Cal and consider it essential equipment.

I know below 3k it would be tough to find time to dawn our big orange life vests. I do need to invest in some better ones. Thanks for the advice and thanks for watching!!

I watched the entire video, great job, really enjoyed the narration. If you had kept the "music" playing, I wouldn't have watched it. I can't stand music on airplane videos.:eek:

Thank you for watching! Sometimes music is weird through a whole video I agree.

Back