What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Superior Dipstick - Oil Fill

John Tierney

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Does anyone know what the thread size/pitch is for the Superior engine dipstick tube? It is a very nicely machined system, and I would like to cobble together some fittings (PVC or otherwise) to enhance oil filling after an oil/filter change. The Phillips supplied free filler tube just doesn't stay put.

I have tried the common True Value plumbing fitting, but they just don't fit. I suspect that it could be metric.

Attachments

• Dipstick.jpg
    Dipstick.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 144
Does anyone know what the thread size/pitch is for the Superior engine dipstick tube? It is a very nicely machined system, and I would like to cobble together some fittings (PVC or otherwise) to enhance oil filling after an oil/filter change. The Phillips supplied free filler tube just doesn't stay put.

I have tried the common True Value plumbing fitting, but they just don't fit. I suspect that it could be metric.

I'll be following this thread. I'd try to provide my own answer but I'm not at the hangar. I doubt it's an NPT thread so plumbing fitting won't work. If I figure it out, I'll let you know as I'm facing the same situation.

I've taken one of the blue filler tubes and straightened it out with a heat gun and a wood dowel. I haven't tried it yet but it should be easier to screw it to the dipstick tube without the bend. I might put two filler tubes in series to make attaching the bottle easier. That's the plan.

I’m simple. I use a long orange funnel that I insert into the dipstick tube. Works really great for putting oil into the crankcase. Remove the funnel, reinsert the dipstick, secure it and away we go!

I carry an empty oil bottle and a blue filler tube in the airplane. To add oil I cut the bottom off the empty bottle and attach the filler tube - voila I have a funnel. After I add oil, I throw away the cut off bottle and keep the newly empty oil bottle for the next time - no need to clean the "funnel". I keep a cap (from another old oil bottle) on each end of the blue filler tube with a paper towel inside. Overall weighs very little. Simple to execute when I need oil away from home.

3D Print It!

Hello 3D printing guys!!!! Steve Melton??? Nice project. Should have quite a few takers. As mentioned, fairly straight to thread thru oil door opening. Something to hold upside down quart of oil.

Hello 3D printing guys!!!! Steve Melton??? Nice project. Should have quite a few takers. As mentioned, fairly straight to thread thru oil door opening. Something to hold upside down quart of oil.

Easy project for Steve. I would buy a couple.

Oil filler spout.

I carry in the RV6 a one gallon ziplock bag & inside is quart of oil & a empty standard plastic water bottle with the bottom cut off. The threaded end screws into the dipstick tube. Put a couple clean rags in the bag & that’s worked well for many years.

adding oil

I use a "Hyper tough" small engine funnel from Wally World. It is about 10" long so I cut about 3" off the small end which makes it fit very nicely down inside the dipstick tube while leaving the large end outside the cowling. It makes a very clean, neat way to add oil without using the blue adapter fitting. I carry a second one in the airplane if I need to add oil on the road.
Bruce
RV-7A (purchased)
ATP, A&P
Gladly donated 2022

Attachments

• funnel.JPG
    funnel.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 93
Hard to beat the funnels designed for diesel exhaust fluid. I don’t know anything about diesel exhaust fluid, but the funnels they make for it are perfect for filling the crankcase of a Lycoming. And cheap to boot. Easy to find at almost any gas station or truck stop that sells diesel.

Wally world auto section sold a yellow bottle extension with a valve and cap that works great. Stays on the bottle. Remove the cap, invert bottle into fill tube, open valve. Reverse when done...

If you roll up a piece of computer printer paper in the shape of a narrow funnel, you have a disposable funnel. Works great for adding a quart of oil at a fuel stop. I use this often.

Back