What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Quick Panel

azflyer21

Well Known Member
I haven't been able to find any recent post on the Dynon Quick Panel. If you have used their quick panel service I would like to know:

-What is your overall experience?
-Did the Advanced Control Module really help with the install?
-Any issues or gotcha's with the Advanced Control Module?

Thanks for any info.

All of these companies have extensive recent experience with installing Quick Panels and Panels without using the ACM Module.

Bend Aircraft Builder's Assist and Maintenance Center
Mike Robertson
EMAIL: [email protected]

Synergy Air
www.synergyair.com/

Aerosport Products
www.aerosportproducts.com
Geoff Combs (Currently Upgrading RV-10 from Circuit breakers to ACM)

You can also give us a call for references.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

I chose the AFS quick panel for my RV7 using dual 5600 touch displays, with Dynon A/P servos, and dual ADAHARS. No doubt saved hundreds of hours of labor using the ACM and associated pre-wired switches and harnesses. The panel fit perfectly with no trimming required. The installation is surprisingly simple but still requires "customizing" some of the harnesses to accept the specific equipment you are installing such as trims, lighting, fuel gauges etc:. All in all I couldn't be happier with the end result. Fantastic equipment and features, as well as terrific customer support.
If you considering going this route, I would be more than happy to talk with you or give you a demo flight.
Based KOXC (Waterbury-Oxford, CT).

I have several friends that have installed the quick panels with the ACM in their aircraft. They have all had AFS screens, but I don't think that matters. Rob's team does a great job with both construction of the panels and harnesses, as well as ongoing support. It really doesn't matter if you get either a Skyview, HDX, of AFS screens. The results are equally outstanding.

This is a great option if you are a little intimidated with all the wiring and system design, or if you just want to save some time in the build.

I don't know the timing of the release, but AFS has a prototype of an ACM unit with electronic breakers. When it's gets released, I think it will give some competition to Astronics VP/X. When there is competition, I think we'll start seeing more innovation from both companies.

I helped install the Skyview HDX dual screen quick panel with all the bells and whistles in a friends steam gauge RV7A. The product was outstanding with great manuals and customer support. Just like the quick build vs slow build this option is much faster and the actual cost per hour for the plug and play panel is very low.

Last edited:
We have updated manuals on the web site:

Quick Panel Manual with the new ACM-ECB
http://dynonavionics.com/downloads/advanced/Advanced Quick Panel Installation Manual V4.4.pdf

AF-5000 Pilot Guide

http://dynonavionics.com/includes/guides/advanced/AF-5000 Pilot Guide Manual V15.0.pdf

HDX Pilot Guide
http://dynonavionics.com/public_htm...SkyView_HDX_Pilots_User_Guide-Rev_B_v15_2.pdf

I came up with the idea for the Advanced Control module with plug-and-play wiring after years of helping customers install and trouble shoot avionics in airplanes. After 17 years of trouble shooting problems in home wired and professionally wired panels and seeing how long it took the average customer to install them there had to be a better way.

With the Advanced Control Module (ACM) all of the avionics are on plugs, easy to install and easy to fix. Decide you want to upgrade your GNS430 to a GTN650? With the ACM based panel unplug the old tray and literally plug in the new GTN650 tray and harness. What would probably take you at least 8 hours with a traditionally wired panel can be done in 30 minutes. Decide you want to upgrade to IFR from VFR? No problem plug in our Avidyne IFD540 harness and mount the new tray and you're done. No installing ARINC modules and trying to figure out all the audio, RS-232 and ARINC wiring.

Have an avionics problem? No problem. You can remove the component and its wiring by unplugging a harness. You can then work on it on the bench instead of on your head under the panel or we can send you a new harness.

We currently have a customer that decided to install an EFIS, Transponder, ADSB, Autopilot, Audio Panel and IFD540 in a flying plane. He decided that his local avionics shop could install it without using our ACM. They still are not finished and they have over 300 hours in it. The labor to install it will end up being more than the components!

I have rewired my RV-10 panel three times in the last 9 years. My first panel used traditional switches and Circuit Breakers. On my second panel I replaced the Circuit Breakers with a VPX-Pro. It saved a huge amount of wire and I was extremely happy with how it simplified the power wiring.

When Aerosport Products developed the 310 carbon fiber RV-10 panel and we had the AF-5700 12" EFIS for the center screen I had to have it. Even though we were selling the ACM module I had no intention of removing the VPX and rewiring my panel again :(

With my new panel I also decided to replace my SL30 with an IFD540. This was 14 days before Oshkosh, plenty of time. After spending about 8 hours under the panel tracing and pulling wires I had had enough, there had to be a better way. I drove to work and grabbed an ACM and a bunch of pre-made harness and starting installing. In a few hours of work I literally had the 3 EFIS screens, transponder, ADSB, GTN650 and IFD540 up and running. Over the next few days I wired all the switches, lights, Alternator and fuel pump to the new ACM. The wiring had never been cleaner and it is now a lot easier to work on.

With my new panel I did miss the ability to see the load on each circuit and the ability to shut off each component individually. With the automotive fuses it was extremely simple and reliable. Five months ago we had our first prototype ACM-ECB with Electronic Circuit breakers and I decided it was time for another RV-10 upgrade. It look about an hour to replace the Fused ACM with the new Electronic Circuit breaker version. It uses the same mounting and wiring! I have now been flying for the last four months with the new module and it is working extremely well.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Breaker version of the control module

Hi Rob:
Will the circuit breaker version (compared to the fused version) of the control module allow modification of the specific circuit breaker amperage or is that set?
Thanks.

Hi Rob:
Will the circuit breaker version (compared to the fused version) of the control module allow modification of the specific circuit breaker amperage or is that set?
Thanks.

Yes, you can configure the individual circuit breaker amperages. With an AF-5000 EFIS you can adjust it from the EFIS screen. With a Skyview HDX you will need to load a configuration file that you edit on your PC.
The ACM-ECB also has support for dual alternators and separate taxi lights.

25653984738_c630d1cac6_o.png

39524880701_1a2e9fc516_b.jpg

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc. (A Dynon Company)

Last edited:
Dynon / Advance Quick Panel

I just received my Quick Panel from Advanced last week. I highly recommend them. I am installing it now. Immediate benefits are: They give you an installation manual to follow. They give you advice configuring the panel. They test it. I think their engineering and design are really good. They provide post delivery support to install it. Very easy to talk to and work with. I'm installing it on an RV-7 with TipUp. My panel is legal IFR with the following equipment.

Dynon HDX Screen, AP, Com
My lighted Rocker Switches -- which was unique request
PS Engineering PDA360EX Audio Panel
Garmin 430
Dynon D6 for Backup Screen

There is some extra labor cost for installation, Test. But the discount they give on the parts makes up for much of it. Here are a couple links to photos.
2017-12-30%2010.30.35.jpg

2017-12-30%2010.35.08.jpg

I'll eventually update my build log to show this. www.mykitlog.com/sglynn

Last edited:
I just received my Quick Panel from Advanced last week. I highly recommend them. I am installing it now. Immediate benefits are: They give you an installation manual to follow. They give you advice configuring the panel. They test it. I think their engineering and design are really good. They provide post delivery support to install it. Very easy to talk to and work with. I'm installing it on an RV-7 with TipUp. My panel is legal IFR with the following equipment.

Dynon HDX Screen, AP, Com
My lighted Rocker Switches -- which was unique request
PS Engineering PDA360EX Audio Panel
Garmin 430
Dynon D6 for Backup Screen

There is some extra labor cost for installation, Test. But the discount they give on the parts makes up for much of it. Here are a couple links to photos.
2017-12-30%2010.30.35.jpg

2017-12-30%2010.35.08.jpg

I'll eventually update my build log to show this. www.mykitlog.com/sglynn

Awesome Steve! Nice to see your log pop up on VAF.

I've decided I'm going with a quick panel, but won't be ready for it until maybe next year. Really glad to see the great reports and the upgrade with the electronic breakers. Wondering what new things will come along before I'm ready to buy.

Back