Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2017, 04:26 PM

Default Micro Molex Pins/Connectors

I spent several hours today in bright sunlight attempting to crimp those teeny tiny micro molex pins onto the teeny tiny 26 gage wires to mount in a molex connector for the elevator trim servo. I eventually was successful but not without a lot of swearing and multiple attempts. I have the BCT-1 crimping tool so that's not the issue, and eventually I got better with each pin in making the proper crimps without mangling the pin. No, the real problem was inserting the pins into the molex connector. Is there a special tool for this? It was almost impossible, and yes I did have them aligned properly for the key in each hole. God help me if I ever need to remove a pin for trouble shooting. How does one do that without destroying the pin/wire/connector?
Finishing Kit Underway
Engine and Prop received
Avionics on order
Old 01-06-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw20c View Post
I spent several hours today in bright sunlight attempting to crimp those teeny tiny micro molex pins onto the teeny tiny 26 gage wires to mount in a molex connector for the elevator trim servo. I eventually was successful but not without a lot of swearing and multiple attempts. I have the BCT-1 crimping tool so that's not the issue, and eventually I got better with each pin in making the proper crimps without mangling the pin. No, the real problem was inserting the pins into the molex connector. Is there a special tool for this? It was almost impossible, and yes I did have them aligned properly for the key in each hole. God help me if I ever need to remove a pin for trouble shooting. How does one do that without destroying the pin/wire/connector?
If you're using the ones I'm thinking of (look like old school R/C servo connectors) I just used a magnifying headset, crimper, fine needle nose pliers, and careful finger pressure. AndI think a small plastic pushing stick?

I found the process somewhat enjoyable, actually.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:55 PM

I use D-Sub for everything small. I don't use Molex for anything.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:16 PM

I used a small connector for the pitch trim servo on my RV-8A, and later on I wondered why I bothered with a connector at all. Think about it: if you ever need to replace the trim servo, you're gonna have to install a new connector on the new servo which will come with bare leads. It's just as easy to use good quality crimped butt splices (e.g. AMP PIDG) to connect the servo leads to the wire harness. Leave an extra inch of slack in the harness, so in the unlikely event you ever need to replace the servo you can just snip out the old splices and install new ones.

Another technique I've seen for a low profile installation is to crimp D-sub pins & sockets on the servo and wire harness terminations, but instead of inserting them into D-sub connectors, simply plug them together with a piece of heat shrink over each pin/socket connection to insulate them and keep them from coming apart. This would not be a good idea if the wiring is ever likely to get yanked, but if it's properly supported/protected this is a clean way of connecting the servo to the harness without the bulk of a connector.

YMMV...
RV-8A #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings/empennage/tailcone complete, fuselage in progress...

My postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw20c View Post
After spending a day on a new RV-14 build tracking down an elevator trim servo wiring problem to one of these horrible connectors, I cut them out. These connectors are exceptionally fragile and the pin retaining clip breaks off. These connectors have no place in our RVs. Note - this connector was provided in the RV-14 kit.

I typically use a small molex for these servos. I use large pin molex plugs for anything with power, and D connectors for everything else.

Carl
Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 PM

Default Molex

Any connection up to 6 pins is .062" Molex. I have the tools (crimper and pin removal) and lots of practice from a previous life.
Over 6 pins is D-sub.
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I use D-Sub for everything small. I don't use Molex for anything.
Yes, you can get an 'Amen.' One life in consumer electronics, and another in industrial electronics taught me to just say no.

Charlie
Old 01-06-2017, 07:32 PM

Different strokes for different folks....

If you search the forums you will find lots of posts from people who like the micro molex connectors a lot.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 01-06-2017, 09:11 PM

Aren't the mini used in the 12? Anyway, who thinks Molex can survive on making a single type of connector and terminal pins, they have dozens of different products.

OP: get the insert and extract tool. Oh - and a good headband magnifier. They are tricky little devils aren't they
Old 01-07-2017, 03:27 AM

This is a timely thread for me. I had an intermittent issue in the trim servo wiring in my RV12. I think i will go with the Stein dsub method seen in this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f8DCvBV2V4M

RV-14A built/sold N14VB