What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Who makes plug-N-play circuit boards 4 EFIS

ron sterba

Well Known Member
I had the phone # but put it in a safe place.Looking for the company in the midwest that will design and build a circuit board with sub D connectors to connect EFIS units. These boards can be built for different manufacturers EFIS,Transponder,ADSB,GPS RS 232, certified navigator units. Mix -n -Match for certified aircraft and their avionics. Saves all the headaches of cross wiring. Its the new wave of the future for us. If you have a experimental EFISs and connect a GTN650 then this is ideal.

Ron

Ron,

I think you're talking about approach fast stack modular wiring.

http://approachfaststack.com

I would really love it if afs would sell their control box, which is essentially a fat stack wiring hub with built in arinc box and fused power distribution.

They would probably sell a lot to the garmin guys or those who are looking to upgrade. Hint hint

I would really love it if afs would sell their control box,

I asked them that question awhile back, as I recall they are currently installing them in panels as fast as they can be produced. May sell as a stand alone later when there becomes a surplus.

Ron,

I think you're talking about approach fast stack modular wiring.

http://approachfaststack.com

I would really love it if afs would sell their control box, which is essentially a fat stack wiring hub with built in arinc box and fused power distribution.

They would probably sell a lot to the garmin guys or those who are looking to upgrade. Hint hint

I am using the approachfaststack in my system which has made a rather complex set up a piece of cake and has made adding new system just a breeze. I can not imagine going any other way.

Thanks NTex,Mike and Mehrdad,
Thats what Im talking about. Much appreciated the feedback on your actual working unit Mehrdad. There is such a big market just ready to take off for this kind of a circuit board. I don't think anybody is going to tear out the whole panel to put in a brand new dual efis and comms. but there sure is a lot of owners who would take out their 6 pack and put in a EFIS. ADSB is coming too! Retro fit is a good and economically feasible alternative. Like Mehrdad said why learn to put in all those wires when youll only do it once in your life time. OK you might upgrade something along the way. I remember when you needed a plumber to do everything for a complete system in your home. Now theres new push on couplings from CPVC to copper pipe. No glue or soldering,just make sure the ends are cut square when assembling the splices. Theres glue for plastic pipe to ABS. So why not Dynon to Garmin or to Advance Flight,True trac, or King. Hopefully something will emerge at Sun-n-Fun or Oshkosh. I don't think approachfaststack is getting their name out quick enough but after what I reading from the other builders above, production is likely to ramp up. Vans is making FULL wiring harnesses for all the lights in the RV14, again keeping it simple. KIS Theres just to many kits not being finished that are up for sale in the periodicals and websites because of complex issues and a lack of help for builders. Thats what I make of it and the analogies.Would like to hear from any builder who likes the approachfaststack circuit boards. NTex I'm with you on that Dynon and Advance Flight systems have a market that is virtually waiting for their entrance.

Ron

Approach Faststack has been around for years.

I think cost is what has held them back. (EDIT: If compared to DIY)

Last edited:

I think cost is what has held them back.

Cost may be a wash if you are paying full avionics shop rates for any upgrades (or even initial installation), as opposed to DIY...

I think cost is what has held them back.

I thought that at first too until I actually compared the price for their system to a normal radio stack wired up the "old" way. It worked out to very close to e same wiring. Now, when I am going to do an upgrade, I Love hearing that there is a fast stack because it saves SO MUCH TIME. Also, you can call Tim any time and ask if there is a way to add a connector to get information from one existing unit to another new unit and he will make a cable and send it.

Also, it wasn't until I started using fast stack that I realized the Sorcerer auto pilot would talk to me. The radio shop I used before fast stack never added those wires, and I didn't know to ask for them.

I thought that at first too until I actually compared the price for their system to a normal radio stack wired up the "old" way.

If the "old way" is paying a shop to do it, then I think you'd probably be right. Wiring my avionics myself (Dynons, IFR GPS, 2 comms, Nav+GS, stereo intercom) was significantly less expensive than having a shop do it by more than half. It does take more time, however - no argument there.

Also, it wasn't until I started using fast stack that I realized the Sorcerer auto pilot would talk to me. The radio shop I used before fast stack never added those wires, and I didn't know to ask for them.

One benefit of understanding the avionics system is you learn all kinds of neat things like this.

Really, wiring avionics is pretty straightforward. It's daunting at first only because of the unknowns, but education is one of the main reasons for building these things anyway, right?

I developed a whole family of wiring hubs, ideal for EFIS interconnect, just Google 'AXIS-25A'.

I dont make them anymore, but they have been picked up by MakerPlane. They are general purpose hubs using d-sub connectors that allow you to build simple wiring harnesses to other devices.

Oddly, I've used more of these for connecting lab instruments than for building airplanes.

Here's an example in my HR-II: http://www.vx-aviation.com/sprocket/photos/panel_elec/schematics/EFIS.pdf

If the "old way" is paying a shop to do it, then I think you'd probably be right. Wiring my avionics myself (Dynons, IFR GPS, 2 comms, Nav+GS, stereo intercom) was significantly less expensive than having a shop do it by more than half. It does take more time, however - no argument there.

One benefit of understanding the avionics system is you learn all kinds of neat things like this.

Really, wiring avionics is pretty straightforward. It's daunting at first only because of the unknowns, but education is one of the main reasons for building these things anyway, right?

+1, clarified my post above.

And you can go watch the videos at SteinAir.com to get a good idea on how to do most of it with the correct tools.

Approachfaststack vs vertical power

What is the difference between the Vertical power system and the approachfastack? I've just begun the design of a new Skyview based panel to replace my current FD180 based panel, and looking for ways to simplify!:confused:

Vertical Power is your power handling system. Approach Fast Stack is everything else, the interconnections and communications among instruments. They both work very nicely together.

Vertical Power is your power handling system. Approach Fast Stack is everything else, the interconnections and communications among instruments. They both work very nicely together.

And the AFS control module is both of 'em!

Except instead of electronic circuit breakers, it uses ATC fuses for power distribution. Makes for a nice and clean setup, in my opinion. I'm sure there are some reservations about locating the signal and power wires into one box, but for me it would greatly simplify wire runs. Vern, you're onto something.

I asked them that question awhile back, as I recall they are currently installing them in panels as fast as they can be produced. May sell as a stand alone later when there becomes a surplus.

Mike, let's hope they are cranking them out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefPilot View Post

+1, clarified my post above.

+2. I would love to wire everything myself, but to a central hub for distribution.

Thanks

Thanks, Jesse! :eek:

What is the difference between the Vertical power system and the approachfastack? I've just begun the design of a new Skyview based panel to replace my current FD180 based panel, and looking for ways to simplify!:confused:

If you already have a D-180 based panel, then converting to a Skyview is not very difficult. They have a conversion guide.

Back