What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do you use your seat back adjusters?

TomRV8

Do you guys and girls who have a flying side by side regularly use your upper seat back adjusters?

Seems like a lot of planes I saw at Oshkosh this year had the hinged seat adjuster that attaches to the top of the seat just hanging down, and not stuck in one of the slots on the rail. Also, a lot of the rails where the slotted adjusters are had scratched paint, so didn't look real great.

I'm thinking of just leaving the adjusters off totally, making sure my wife and i are comfy with the seat position as is, and resting the seat back directly on the rail. Any other passengers get what they get :)

Thought?
Thanks!

Do you guys and girls who have a flying side by side regularly use your upper seat back adjusters?

Seems like a lot of planes I saw at Oshkosh this year had the hinged seat adjuster that attaches to the top of the seat just hanging down, and not stuck in one of the slots on the rail. Also, a lot of the rails where the slotted adjusters are had scratched paint, so didn't look real great.

I'm thinking of just leaving the adjusters off totally, making sure my wife and i are comfy with the seat position as is, and resting the seat back directly on the rail. Any other passengers get what they get :)

Thought?
Thanks!

The top seat adjuster is only there for when the seat is moved forward for a shorter pilot. (Assuming that it is all the way back for a normal height pilot.)

There are piano hinge under the seat the same distance that the top angles are. One pulls the cushions out, moves position of the piano hinge seat back attach, then uses the upper angle to keep the seat back at the same angle. Cushions go back in and the airplane goes flying.

Over the past 16-years, the upper adjustment on the left side has been out of the airplane at least 15 of those years. I put it back in in July as I will be moving and do not want to lose it. Over the past 16-years, the right seat has been adjusted about 10 times for shorter PAX or CFI that was flying with me.

Hope this explains what you have seen.

I shortened the existing seat back holders to give more room without scratching everything. I wanted the adjustment mostly for passengers and kiddos.
68DA0804-CFE4-4561-A7A9-8B4D7DB179A1-10958-0000054503A4A0F6_zpsd7b385c6.jpg

I never made the adjuster and have never missed them.

I did make the cross bar and the seat back per the plans but I never made the removal brackets. I still have those extra pieces of AL in my scrap bin.

Had them on used them for a while till I got new seat covers that cover the upper adjusters so I took them off and never miss them. I have a few peaces of foam that I use to "shim" any pilot/pax that needs a more coustome fit.

Essential item

At 5'6" they are essential. ;)

Since I installed the 'Almost a 14 mod' to help out my abnormally tall friends in the right seat, I had to extend and reinforce the seat back adjusters on my side.

I also have a wide assortment of cushions.

My father, at 5'4" instructed in the USAF in T-6 back seats. He says he toted a stack of cushions also.

The concept is good and they work well for their intended purpose but I built 3 RV's over the years and never used any of them.

The adjusters are a necessity for me, and I'm pretty sure I would have skipped buying any RV without them. Seems like a minor thing to put in, and you never know what size pilot may be the next owner of your plane. Maybe that matters to you, maybe not.

Have never used mine ...

.. and likely never will. Probably will remove them soon. Both my passengers and I need all the legroom we can get.
Also, if your seat back is in the aft-most bottom hinge position, use of the upper adjuster results in the seat back being almost vertical. For me it's horrendously uncomfortable.

Back