What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview panel joyride request...

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
I'm about to pull the trigger on my dual Skyview panels, and I'm still on the fence whether I want to go 7" or 10". It would be really helpful if someone with either of them happened to be in west Texas area so we could meet up for a quick joyride so I can get some frame of reference and make a decision. If you are not necessarily close by I can hop in my lowly C-172 and meet you somewhere...

$100 hamburger on me - any takers?

Go Big!

You will love the 10" screens! After flying behind Russ's (russd in the forums) dual 10" panel I wouldn't accept any less. I have mine wired up and working on the bench and working on getting it all installed in the airplane. It's only money Greg! We are only 3 hours by 172 away;) If mine was flying I would be happy to invade you and check out your project.

Last edited:
Due to space in our panel, we (four owners) installed a 10 " (pilot side) and a 7" (co-pilot side) . We all find ourselves sitting on the co-pilot side reading the pilot's screen. Much esier to read the 10" screen off to one side than the 7" screen in front of you. To me not even a contest. In my Super Cub I have A D-100 and a D-120, they are closer to the pilot and I don't mind them , but in the RV-10 , it's no contest. I myself would go with a different panel layout, knowing what I know now, in order to fit two 10". I would skip something in order to get the 10".
Ron

I flew in the right seat of a Gobosh/Aero AT-4 with a 10" installed on the left side. I flew from the right seat and was able to see it fine in flight. I have been considering swapping out the D-180 in my Gobosh for the 7" Skyview just due to space limitations. I have the D-180 and Garmin 796 currently. I think the 7" Skyview would still be nicer than the D-180.

I am also building a RV-12 and look very forward to the 10" in mine.. even more so after flying with one yesterday.

Carl

for what it's worth, Grand Rapids Technology just released their 10" displays which are competitively priced with the SkyView but have quite a few more features/options and redundancies.

they're pretty slick, imo. got a demo at the local EAA chapter 2 days ago and I was blown away. seems like they're a lot more redundancy/quality oriented than some of the others. can't speak for Dynon on that point, though.

HXr%20Photo%20Cutout.png

Last edited:
I'd be happy to give you a ride in my 9A (single 10" SV). I'm in San Antonio though, so it's a bit of a ways to travel. No hamburger required :p

In any case, I'd love to hear about your ER fuel tanks. Do you have anything documenting how you did it? Standard Tuckey style mod?

I'd be happy to give you a ride in my 9A (single 10" SV). I'm in San Antonio though, so it's a bit of a ways to travel. No hamburger required :p

In any case, I'd love to hear about your ER fuel tanks. Do you have anything documenting how you did it? Standard Tuckey style mod?

Andy,
Great photo gallery! Nice to see you are going places. Cool dog you have. Would love to visit Catalina island some day.

Andy,
Great photo gallery! Nice to see you are going places. Cool dog you have. Would love to visit Catalina island some day.

Thanks :) It was a fun trip. I can't wait to get out again. We bought an inflatable kayak, and we're hoping to go to Nehalem Bay in June for some camping/crabbing/fishing/clamming. These are awesome airplanes, and the SV has been rock solid. 120 hours and counting :)

Andy - the wife and I get down to Austin fairly frequently, I'll give you a shout next trip and try to hook up with you. The ER tanks are about as close to Tuckey as you can get and stick them in the 9 wings, a few minor changes but basically straight Tuckey.

10" or 7" Skyview

I have a -4 and have gone with the 10" Skyview. There is so much information available to put onto your screen that even with a 10" it can be a bit crowded. I can't imagine trying to get it all onto a 7" screen. Yes, you can do more than one page. However, it is nice to have as much information without having to switch screens back and forth. I think if you can fit in a 10 inch screen you will be much happier and it's not that much more expensive.

10"

Greg, as others have said, go 10". I often have the three screens active on my 10", the engine page, map and flight. With all three open you want as much landscape as possible. I only have one 10" but have provided room for the second on the copilot side. When I can afford it I'm going for the second screen.

panel%20HDR.jpg

You guys are absolutely no help at all. I was looking for a reason to save a little money by using the 7", and what do I get? :D

Yeah, I want the 10" too, was just checking it out before committing...

You guys are absolutely no help at all. I was looking for a reason to save a little money by using the 7", and what do I get? :D

Yeah, I want the 10" too, was just checking it out before committing...

I feel your pain Greg, I wanted to use the 7" too. Then Russ got his 9A flying and.........so much for that idea. Call Craig at Skyview Aviation....... best price I found. Saved me some bucks, fast service and all around nice guy to deal with.

.......and besides, what's that old saying?? "Go big or stay at home"

Last edited:
If you want to save money, why have two Skyviews?

Because I want two Skyviews worse than I want to save money! :D

Let's not fool ourselves here folks - "NEED" has nothing to with this - this is all about "WANT" and we all know that!

Actually Ron, in all seriousness, I'm trying to build a robust IFR flyer and I want the dual screens not only for backup but also so that the aircraft can be flown from either seat with identical layouts. I also have an MGL efis for backup to the Dynon screens just in case a common software error should take out both Dynons.

Last edited:
Skyview 7 and 10

I put in one of each. Too much info for only one screen, especially with
VP-Pro as well. I have a 7A slider, so access behind the panel is limited. With
this set up on a standard panel I have the 10" screen in front of the pilot with
the 7" screen in the centre and MGL v6 radio and CO monitor above it,
Further to the left are full size ASI and Altimeter and then the map box.
With this layout, I can remove the screens and have reasonable access to the sub-panel for the EMS. The VP-Pro, backup batteries, transponder and
battery buss are all mounted on a firewall hinged panel which drops down
for full access. So far all works well and everything with knobs is easily
reached.... remember, consider all possibilities but tread your own path!

Do you have a pic of your panel?

Tom

I put in one of each. Too much info for only one screen, especially with
VP-Pro as well. I have a 7A slider, so access behind the panel is limited. With
this set up on a standard panel I have the 10" screen in front of the pilot with
the 7" screen in the centre and MGL v6 radio and CO monitor above it,
Further to the left are full size ASI and Altimeter and then the map box.
With this layout, I can remove the screens and have reasonable access to the sub-panel for the EMS. The VP-Pro, backup batteries, transponder and
battery buss are all mounted on a firewall hinged panel which drops down
for full access. So far all works well and everything with knobs is easily
reached.... remember, consider all possibilities but tread your own path!

Skyview

I was just at Van's last week and they have a new skyview running, on display. NICE! I played with it for 15 minutes.

Size: As I have aged, (50) the larger screen, (10 inch) will be most appreciated, especially if IFR. Also, larger = better resale. Oh yea, no one ever sells their RV, :)

Back