What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

gear leg mount

meanstreakii

I'm New Here
has anyone every experienced stress cracking on main gear leg mounts (dynafocal engine mount) - cracking is on front (propeller side) and runs up/down, both legs are about the same (1 inch long)???

Eng mount cracking

I've herd this is a common problem, the guy who built my RV-6 had the eng removed and the eng mount removed to CO a mod the repair and stiffen the lower corners around the gear leg mounts, I'm in the middle of rebuilding the aircraft, when I inspected the eng mount I too found cracking at the lower corners adjacent to the gear mount tubes.

Hope this helps..

Gear leg mount

I had the same at roughly 500 hours. I live on a grass strip. I had heard that this is more common in the UK due to the number of grass strips. The fracture in the weld was accessable with removing the engine. I was able to locate a welder who build race cars and also airplanes. He was able to TIG weld the junction. No mods were made to the mount and all is good 600+ hours later.
Good luck.

Back