What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing main spar

mulde35d

Well Known Member
Friend
So I just unwrapped my main wing spars and noticed quite a few cut marks and sharp edges that make it appear as though edges were not deburred after cutting by the factory. Since this part is clear anodized I am hesitant to debur edges and round corners.
Did anyone find they had to debur and re prime the main wing spar edges? I realize I’ll do that for the countersink, but was expecting the rest of the main spar to be in an installable condition.
I also assume I should check all bolt torques on the main spars during assembly

Hey Jon, Mine were the same. I also debated the issue. I remember finding a thread on here where this was discussed. I'll see if I can locate it. Think most just left "as is". I ended up lightly deburring the flange edge. Also, after deburring and countersinking all the holes, I primed the flange.

Last edited:
Since I was going to countersink and prime the nut plate holes anyway, I deburred the flange edges and primed them. Easy to do with a vixen file.

I don't remember any bolts in the spar that you don't remove and reinstall. Don't worry about torquing the bolts you remove since you will do that later when you reinstall them.

I appreciate the responses. It makes me feel better about grinding on the spar a bit with the file.

I called the mother-ship when I saw this in my assembled and riveted spar. I was reassured that the engineers were comfortable with this level of finish. I think I talked with Gus who said that there were lots of calls on this, particularly from folks who saw other RV spars finished as we would want.

Back