What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Name that wing...

TomRV8

It's time to get serious about picking paint colors for my RV-7A. I have to paint the canopy frame in order to rivet everything together.

I've saved numerous pics from the past. The pic below has a paint color I, and more importantly my wife, particularly like but I didn't save a reference.

Anyone know who this belongs to so I can hopefully get more pics and the actual colors?

Thanks!!

Color looks a bit like the -12 on the cover of Sport Aviation Dec 2016, but with differences in print, monitor, etc, who knows...

I'm using a similar blue that flops to almost black. If you don't identify the wing owner, look at BMW color code A35, Monaco Bleu (their spelling).

That looks a lot like the -9A in my hangar right now. Call me tomorrow and I'll try to get you details.

Thanks Greg. It's hard to to tell the color from the website I found. Do you have pics of your plane?

I'm using a similar blue that flops to almost black. If you don't identify the wing owner, look at BMW color code A35, Monaco Bleu (their spelling).

Thanks Greg. It's hard to to tell the color from the website I found. Do you have pics of your plane?

Sorry, my plane hasn't been painted yet so no pictures. I picked the color from a friend's BMW. It's a bit darker than your picture. I did a spray out on my snorkel to confirm it was what I wanted. My paint supplier (PPG) provided me a 2-3 ounce sample at no cost. I had tried it with a Dodge blue I thought I liked and the spray out wasn't what I wanted. If you plan to use automotive paint see if your supplier will give you a small sample. I just did the snorkel and oil door but it was probably enough to do the upper cowling. I'm shooting 2-stage Concept and already had the hardener, reducer and clear coat so it was cheap and easy for me. There's no substitute for having a large size sample to stare at and view in all light conditions.

Back