What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

something leaking from exhaust stud

seagull

Well Known Member
I noticed this leak that appears to be coming out of the #1 cylinder lower exhaust stud. It appears to be oil. There are no drips on the lower cowling and it is not blown back on the engine. This tells me it is either evaporating, (not oil) or a very small leak. Everything was cleaned 50 hours ago. The # 3 exhaust is leaking from the same area but the stain is smaller. Cylinders 2 & 4 have no leak.

50924538592_bc40e89261_c.jpg

Just went through this, although my “leak” was much smaller than yours. First, there is no penetration of the exhaust stud hole into the crank case or oil channels. I convinced myself it was left over assembly lube leaking out of the hole. The lube then “collects” exhaust residue/soot that circulates inside your cowling. My thoughts for what they’re worth.

I had similar looking oil coming out the end of the exhaust and found that I had oiled the air filter way too much. Since it is happening only the one side of the engine I would suspect the oil is coming from the Carburetor air filter feeding that side. Clean the filters with cleaner and rinse them well, and then only put a very very light spray of oil on them. But it looks like that flange needs to have the torque checked as well.

Last edited:
I had a customer that had the same issue with 2 of his cylinders on his 912 RV-12 I called lockwood and apparently it is an issue with the exhaust valve guide oil seal being made of imperfect rubber(basic description). The seal when working correctly will keep engine oil from the head from making its way down to the face of the exhaust valve....but when it expands or comes off its seat it will allow oil to leak by, I filed the defect paperwork to lockwood and have been waiting to hear back since mid April. But having covid throw a wrench into things I have never heard back. On the positive side after about 50-60 hours the leak has subsided, my guess is the rubber seal finally set against the valve shaft. From everything me and the owner have seen there were no adverse effects on engine performance or maintenance, besides from having to wipe the cowling and heads clean. Not the best answer but hope it helps for understanding why and where the is leaking from.

Mitch AP/IA

apparently it is an issue with the exhaust valve guide oil seal being made of imperfect rubber(basic description). The seal when working correctly will keep engine oil from the head from making its way down to the face of the exhaust valve....but when it expands or comes off its seat it will allow oil to leak by

This may be the cause of what I am seeing. In my case the engine has 600+ hours and in the last 100 hrs the amount that has leaked out isn't enough to drip on the cowl.
The assembly lube in the stud hole theory probable isn't it based on the hours.
I saw on the Rotax forum a possible explanation, an exhaust leak combined with a sinking float washing exhaust soot out. I thoroughly cleaned it and will be watching.
I did check the torque on the nuts and they all in excess of 100 in lb.

The right side of the engine, cylinders #1, #3 run hotter than the left by 50 degrees based on the EGT's. I am not sure if that is a clue.

Last edited:
I would say there is a microscopic crack in the weld for the exhaust flange under the cover. Just my own two cents, as that happened on my RV 7a.

Jon

Exhaust valve guide oil leak, replaced but still leaking. Any ideas?

I had a customer that had the same issue with 2 of his cylinders on his 912 RV-12 I called lockwood and apparently it is an issue with the exhaust valve guide oil seal being made of imperfect rubber(basic description). The seal when working correctly will keep engine oil from the head from making its way down to the face of the exhaust valve....but when it expands or comes off its seat it will allow oil to leak by, I filed the defect paperwork to lockwood and have been waiting to hear back since mid April. But having covid throw a wrench into things I have never heard back. On the positive side after about 50-60 hours the leak has subsided, my guess is the rubber seal finally set against the valve shaft. From everything me and the owner have seen there were no adverse effects on engine performance or maintenance, besides from having to wipe the cowling and heads clean. Not the best answer but hope it helps for understanding why and where the is leaking from.

I wonder if anyone has had similar issues to this and how they were finally resolved. I am having the same problems with a new engine and still haven´t managed to resolved them despite having a complete change of cylinder assemblies.

I have a new engine (912 ULS), first detected a small oil leak after 15 hours of use outside the exhaust port. When I took out the exhaust port I found out the leak was coming from the exhaust valve guide as has been reported on this thread before (see pictures). By the time the rotax local dealer came to see it (engine is new so still on warranty) the leak was happening on 3 cylinders. Soon after that on all 4 cylinders. They just replaced the 4 cylinder heads, pistons and cylinders. After 2 ground test of 15 minutes and a 1 hour flight I took the exhaust ports off on cylinders 1 and 2 and to my surprise, the oil leak was there again. I attach pictures of the leaks, the really messy cylinders/exhausts are when the oil leak had developed for 15+ hours. The new more recent pictures with just a single "stream" of oil are of the new cylinder assemblies with just 90 minutes of engine time.

I am hoping the seals just need more time to set but if anyone knows more about this issue please let me know.

N2 Exhaust  copy.jpg

IMG-9600 copy.JPG

IMG-9598 copy.JPG

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 11.58.43.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 11.58.43.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
Last edited by a moderator:
Back