What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2012 Pine Bluff Formation Clinic

I can't wait. The sight is up for a week and the number of members is growing fast. Don't take too long. There are only so many rooms reserved.
It's going to be COOL. :D

Last year was great !!

Formation flying is very rewarding to me, and has made me a better pilot.
You may not know what you are missing... I didn't.

Take a look and sign up!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/2012pinebluffclinic/

Photo of the "all up" last year, taken by Bobby K. Buford
DSC04933.jpg

Long shot

I'm a bit of a long shot as I won't have my Oct work schedule for 3 weeks, but I am signed up in case this all falls in place.

PBF

I juggled my schedule enough to easily fit this little trip in. Booked a hotel room and am doing my special wx dance.
I will likely arrive Thurs night, unless I find a nice pace to stay along the way Thurs.

Looking forward to learning a lot.

Why no vernier throttles?

I know this is the standard line in the formation work, the Pylon Racing School and the Reno Air Races "why?" is my question. I did work in the pit crew for Bob Mills at Reno this year and both of the other members are going to the PRS next year (RV-6 and Harmon Rocket II) and I will admit to a slight interest but I have GREAT reluctance to cutting up a perfectly functioning system for an arbitrary rule. I had levers in the Archer for 25 years and they worked fine but you couldn't dial in the numbers as precisely as with a vernier. Oh well that is a distraction from the subject sorry Gerald.

Bob Axsom

Not sure I concur about the twist throttle rule being arbitrary. Makes complete sense to me. Especially when in really close and needing to chop the power with zero delay or impediment.

But regardless, there is a control system that offers the quick control action of a lever combined with the twisting vernier action.

I saw the equipment at Oshkosh and it worked well. I believe this is the product.

http://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/Products/?CategoryID=344&ID=17049918&

Last edited:
Now I could live with that

I could live with that but I don't believe for an instant it will be acceptable to the regulators in the near future. From the description I assume the problem that exists today is vernier control jamming. Thank you for that.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Vernier Throttle

Bob et al

We banned Vernier Throttles long ago because of experience in clinics with new formation pilots trying to twist to stay in position. Until you have tried to stay in position on the wing or in close trail during high pitch/bank Lazy 8s you just cannot understand how much in and out throttle movement there is going on. Vernier Throttles are an impediment to good formation flying. Some have fashioned devices to hold the button in on their Vernier Throttles, but that releases any friction in the cable and makes it too loose for good control,and there is the possibility of jamming. The formation commununity understands that a regular friction throttle in the only throttle consistant with good formation flying. When not in formation a friction throttle can easily deliver the preciseness required for good instrument flying.

Is clinic full?

Never mind earlier post. I was just added to the yahoo group so I'm able to get the info now. Charlie

Last edited:
Pine Bluff Formation Clinic Wrap

Falcon Flight made it home safe to Georgetown and Ft Worth despite the initial strong headwind and low ceiling, which cleared out and died down.

Thanks to the 28 who worked their way through the murk on Friday to make the briefing. Kudo to KC Flight for pressing on despite a BIG wall of storms and two unplanned stops. After the briefing Bulldog had a ribs and brisket BBQ and some good fluid refreshment.

Saturday started out with 1/4 mile viz and 100' ceiling, but we briefed anyway and the weather cleared in time to get round 1 up. Rest of the day went as planned. We got three RED SCARY guys soloed, three solos evaluated for FFI Wing, and Bulldog passed his FFI Lead check. Everyone else got some good practice in and my thanks to the Safety Pilots for sacrificing stick time to help te RED SCARY guys learn the great discipline of formation flight. Then Bulldog and the EAA Chapter put on a fried catfish dinner that was THE BEST catfish ever consumed by me along with some SUPER desserts. Thanks to our great hosts.

Sunday morning about 0330 the front came through with a BANG on the windows, heavy rain, and high winds. We delayed the van departure from the motel and the ALL UP briefing by an hour and left the planes in the hangar. We briefed the ALL UP thinking it would be just a practice brief for the education, but at the end of the brief the skies were looking better with the promise of strong crosswinds. We got the planes out and the winds looked okay, so we made the takeoff and conducted the ALL UP as planned in somewhat choppy conditions. About 6 pilots participated in their first Diamond of Diamonds in a 20-ship. Congrats to all for some challenging but good formation flying.

Then planes started departing for RTB with a couple staying over to wait better weather in their direction.

A succesful formation clinic with a whole lot of learning and training going on.
Thanks to all for your dediction and discipline. Thanks to Bulldog and the EAA
Chapter for a great and very friendly hosting and GREAT FOOD.

Falcon

Back