What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch Software Update 8.61 (1/14/2020)

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hello,

We released G3X Touch Version 8.61 to the Software Download Area today. After updating the software in the PFD1 with the SD card, the display will reset, and at that time it is best to hold down on the Menu button while it starts up in Configuration mode. Go to the System Information page on the PFD1 and watch all devices completing the software update before taking the PFD1 out of configuration mode and verifying proper operation for the updated system.

This is a maintenance update to address an issue with the GSU 25D in which airspeed would be invalidated at airspeeds over 300 KIAS. In addition to this, we provided a correction for the calculation of oil pressure in Rotax 912 and 914 engines with the Rotax 456180 oil pressure sensor.

Changes from V8.60 to V8.61

? Improve airspeed range reporting for GSU25D installations in aircraft exceeding 300 KIAS
? Update Rotax 456180 absolute oil pressure sensor to compensate for standard atmospheric pressure
? Includes update to GSU25C/D software version 2.20
? Includes G5 software version 6.40
? Includes G5 boot block software version 2.20
? Includes GAD13 software version 2.00
? Includes GAD13 boot block software version 2.00
? Includes GAD27 software version 2.30
? Includes GAD27 boot block software version 2.30
? Includes GAD29 software version 3.20
? Includes GAD29 boot block software version 3.10
? Includes GDL39 software version 4.81
? Includes GDL5x software version 2.13
? Includes GEA24 software version 3.70
? Includes GEA24 boot block software version 2.20
? Includes GI260 software version 2.80
? Includes GI260 boot block software version 2.20
? Includes GMA245 audio software version 2.20
? Includes GMA245 Bluetooth software version 2.00
? Includes GMA245 software version 2.70
? Includes GMA245 boot block software version 2.30
? Includes GMC507 software version 2.90
? Includes GMC507 boot block software version 2.30
? Includes GMU11 software version 2.00
? Includes GMU11 boot block software version 2.00
? Includes GPS20A software version 2.30
? Includes GPS20A boot block software version 2.10
? Includes GSA28 software version 4.50
? Includes GSA28 boot block software version 2.20
? Includes GSU25/B software version 3.90
? Includes GSU25/B boot block software version 2.20
? Includes GSU25C/D boot block software version 2.00
? Includes GSU73 software version 3.70
? Includes GSU73 IGRF database version 1.03 (Base Year 2015)
? Includes GTR20/200 software version 3.30
? Includes GTR20/200 boot block software version 2.30

Thanks,

Justin

My question/issue: In 8.5 and 8.6 in November and December they introduced the feature they called "Simplified Fuel Flow Calibration" to fine tune your fuel flow calibration (K factor) if you wanted after every tank fill.
Quote from Post:
"All of us have probably gone into configuration mode, done a little math, and made adjustments to our fuel flow calibration (K) factor to make the fuel totalizer more accurate.

This is significantly faster/easier now since you can do this after fill-up from the normal mode fuel calc engine page. Just press Menu on that page and select "Calibrate Fuel Flow" and a pop-up window will show you the fuel used and allow you to enter the actual fuel added to correct the calibration. In this example, the fuel totalizer measured 35 gals since our last fill-up, and we just added 33.5 gals to fill-up.

You can do this as often as you like until the desired accuracy is obtained."
The procedure is from the engine page/fuel tab press the menu key and get a prompt to cal fuel flow. That works and brings up a screen that shows what your system thinks it used in gallons for fuel and allows you to enter what it actually took in gallons to fill the tanks. Then it gives you a % error or correction. This is where my question comes in. There is no "save" "store" "use this correction factor" or any button to press to "save" or "ignore" or whatever? The only way is to back out using the back key or menu key.
So I am not sure it has adjusted the K factor or not. And yes I have not gone into config and look to see if the K factor was changed. This is the point of the feature G3Xpert led with in the 8.5 intro that a user would not have to enter config mode and do the math at the gas pump.

I have filled up 5 or 6 times since using this feature and my numbers are going the wrong way using this process. I was within .2 to .3 gallons before 8.5 and just filled up tonight after a 2h42m flight and was off just over a gallon. So that leads me to the question what is going on and am I not saving these changes correctly????

The other question was they showed a checklist "page" "CHK" across the bottom between "info" and "eng" so you could access checklists from the knobs instead of pressing "menu" from a non split screen. I updated to 8.5 then 8.6 after they pulled 8.5 back for slow update problems but I do not have a checklist page across the bottom. Still dont running 8.6.

These features were posted on 11-25-19 at 1:25 PM on VAF from G3xpert
Garmin G3X Touch (GDU 4XX) V8.50, Nov. 25, 2019 here is the post.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=177233&highlight=G3x

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
G5 Software Update

My question/issue: In 8.5 and 8.6 in November and December they introduced the feature they called "Simplified Fuel Flow Calibration" to fine tune your fuel flow calibration (K factor) if you wanted after every tank fill.
Quote from Post:
"All of us have probably gone into configuration mode, done a little math, and made adjustments to our fuel flow calibration (K) factor to make the fuel totalizer more accurate.

This is significantly faster/easier now since you can do this after fill-up from the normal mode fuel calc engine page. Just press Menu on that page and select "Calibrate Fuel Flow" and a pop-up window will show you the fuel used and allow you to enter the actual fuel added to correct the calibration. In this example, the fuel totalizer measured 35 gals since our last fill-up, and we just added 33.5 gals to fill-up.

You can do this as often as you like until the desired accuracy is obtained."
The procedure is from the engine page/fuel tab press the menu key and get a prompt to cal fuel flow. That works and brings up a screen that shows what your system thinks it used in gallons for fuel and allows you to enter what it actually took in gallons to fill the tanks. Then it gives you a % error or correction. This is where my question comes in. There is no "save" "store" "use this correction factor" or any button to press to "save" or "ignore" or whatever? The only way is to back out using the back key or menu key.
So I am not sure it has adjusted the K factor or not. And yes I have not gone into config and look to see if the K factor was changed. This is the point of the feature G3Xpert led with in the 8.5 intro that a user would not have to enter config mode and do the math at the gas pump.

I have filled up 5 or 6 times since using this feature and my numbers are going the wrong way using this process. I was within .2 to .3 gallons before 8.5 and just filled up tonight after a 2h42m flight and was off just over a gallon. So that leads me to the question what is going on and am I not saving these changes correctly????

The other question was they showed a checklist "page" "CHK" across the bottom between "info" and "eng" so you could access checklists from the knobs instead of pressing "menu" from a non split screen. I updated to 8.5 then 8.6 after they pulled 8.5 back for slow update problems but I do not have a checklist page across the bottom. Still dont running 8.6.

These features were posted on 11-25-19 at 1:25 PM on VAF from G3xpert
Garmin G3X Touch (GDU 4XX) V8.50, Nov. 25, 2019 here is the post.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=177233&highlight=G3x

Thanks

In normal mode, Press Menu twice, Choose Setup, and then Display. There will be a setting for PFD Checklist Main Page, set this to 'Show' from 'Hide'. This was discussed in the release notes for system software 8.40:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=173476&page=3&highlight=8.40

If after filling up your fuel tanks, you notice that the reported fuel used is different from the actual fuel used, you will want to program a value into the 'Actual' field, it will display a corresponding Adjustment value, and change the K factor for you. You do not have to do anything further to save the adjustment. You can confirm this by checking the K factor before making the adjustment, and after, you will see that it has changed. The general rule of thumb: if your Fuel Used reads higher than you expect, you will want to increase the K-factor. If it reads lower than you expect, decrease the K-factor.

We do not have a release date for G5 software 6.40 at this time. We will post to the VAF Glass Cockpit Forum as soon as the software is available for download.

Thanks,

Justin

Back