What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taxi with Doors open?

mckay57

If you own a RV-10, then you know all the other door issues. My questions concern taxiing.

1. Is it safe to taxi with the doors open slightly? If so, do you hold onto the door handling while taxiing?
2. I?ve heard that some pilots taxi with the doors fully open. I would think that adds far to much stress to those 2 hinges at the top, and a gust could potentially take a door off. Also, the prop wash could stress the door hinges. Thoughts?
3. What do you guys do when taxiing and it is really hot?

Mac

I open the door about 6" and hold it with my hand. I never start or taxi with the door open or up. I see people start and taxi with the door right up but I can't see it being good in the long term. The hinge/door is not rigid enough for that kind of use in my opinion.

I'm not sure if it's 'safe' but I've taxied a number of times just holding the door a few inches open. I have my AC up and going now so when it's hot I turn it on.

After loosing a door to a ANG C-130 prop blast, I have strict rules:
- Doors are shut and locked for any engine operation.
- Doors are shut and locked anytime on the ramp and my hand cannot reach it in short order.
- Doors can only be left open in a protected hangar.

The doors are amazingly fragile when not shut and locked. I know from my incident that a door just shut but not locked is as bad as full open. Don't risk it.

Carl

The factory Demo RV-10's are regularly taxi'ed with the pilot side door slightly open and held by the pilot.
Taxi'ing with the passenger side door slightly open might be done if the seat is occupied by another factory pilot or experienced employee, and they are holding the door.

The doors are never fully open for taxi or engine start.

I would regularly open and hold the door open a few inches when taxiing on hot days. I would open AFTER engine start. I would also get a decent ventilation through the NACA vents just from the prop wash.

I would regularly open and hold the door open a few inches when taxiing on hot days. I would open AFTER engine start. I would also get a decent ventilation through the NACA vents just from the prop wash.

this is my policy as well. We will hold the doors open a few inches after engine start, and for taxi on really hot days. but only with a hand on the door at all times.

My policy is basically the same as Carl's with regard to the doors during engine ops-- closed and locked, no exceptions. Just too much risk for something to happen for my comfort level to have them open even a little. YMMV.....

?What do you guys do when taxiing and it is really hot??

It?s really a three stage process.

1. Rotate fan switch to ?High?.

2. Flip compressor switch to ?on?

3. Bask in cool refreshing de-humidified air. :D

Hopefully for me it will be:

engage Icy Breeze fan plumbed into overhead panel.
enjoy cool air during taxi and climb.
if necessary, fan myself with wads of Benjamins saved over real air conditioning.
land, shed weight of melted ice and replace only as needed.

:D

(I live in four-season country, not the desert southwest.)

Proven Method to taxi with door open

I flew my "new" RV-10 home to Calif from Florida eight years ago this month. I tried several methods of the "hot cockpit" fix before I settled on the one that I have been using for many years now. First of all when I give my passenger briefing I show everyone how to open the doors in an emergency but I tell everyone I am the only one that will close the doors. I physically check both rear latches with my hand prior to take off, I can see that the forward latch is engaged even when I have a passenger in the right seat. In addition, I have two "door lights" on my forward panel looking at four switches so the chances of taking off with a door ajar is very remote. If you go to: https://link.shutterfly.com/MqRkS7k2r2
you can view pictures of my system. It has two 42"X 1" straps connected to the door handle shafts using a common "snap" fitting that you can buy at a fabric store. I put the snap on the strap using a tool that you can buy with the snap for just a few bucks. It is wrapped tightly around the shaft that the door handle rotates on and towards the end, there is a plastic buckle that I bought at the same fabric store. The 42" gives me enough length to wrap the strap around my left thigh and run it through the plastic buckle. I can vary the length so that I can control how far open I want the door to go. By having it attached to my leg, I do not have to hold it with my hand which leaves me free to keep back pressure on the elevator at all times and it leave my right hand free to control the throttle or change the radio. I know that some are thinking "what happens if the thing catches on fire and I have to get out after a crash landing?" The snap is very secure for normal operations and I have never had it come apart when it wasn't supposed to. I have tested the resistance of the snap by intentionally exerting enough pressure on it to get it to release as in an emergency and it worked just as I had hoped.

Back