What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend (11/9-10/2019)?

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
...getting it started.

Flew a friend over to KADS so he could re-position a PC-12. I'd forgotten how busy it is on the ground at Addison. Waited at the departure end for 20 minutes to take off.

There were (7) airplanes in front of me (and maybe ten behind me) on the ramp when they called my N-number for position and hold. I jumped on that like a duck on a june bug <g>.

v/r,dr

Thursday my hanger partner and I took N122EF (RV 7a) from Prosser Wa (S40) Ogden Utah (KOGD) via Gooding Idaho (KGNG) to go to the I-FLY Utah. Then Ogden to Alvord Desert, landed for a pee break and then back. RT 949miles. Friday I flew my wife to a business meeting in Spokane WA. Landed Felts Field (KSFF) then flew up to Sandpoint Idaho (KSZT) to trouble shoot some items. While there we pulled the lower plugs, cleaned (and dropped one, which then meant cleaning 4 new plugs and putting it all back together. Flying back to KSFF to pick up my wife and returning home S40. Total milage 1248 miles and approx 8 hrs flight time.

https://youtu.be/1zB5M4E32G8

Last edited:
Thursday my hanger partner and I took N122EF (RV 7a) from Prosser Wa (S40) Ogden Utah (KOGD) via Gooding Idaho (KGNG) to go to the I-FLY Utah. Then Ogden to Alvord Desert, landed for a pee break and then back. RT 949miles. Friday I flew my wife to a business meeting in Spokane WA. Landed Felts Field (KSFF) then flew up to Sandpoint Idaho (KSZT) to trouble shoot some items. While there we pulled the lower plugs, cleaned (and dropped one, which then meant cleaning 4 new plugs and putting it all back together. Flying back to KSFF to pick up my wife and returning home S40. Total milage 1248 miles and approx 8 hrs flight time.

https://youtu.be/1zB5M4E32G8

Nice trip! kinda fitting to land in your desert:) Any relation? My PPL x country plan was to Alvord :eek::)

Condition Inspection time week #2 for me, I drug my oldest out to the hangar to help me with the compression check for the second year in a row. She learns something, I learn something and although she won't admit it she feels more accomplished and a little sassy for the experience. Dad's also glad to have her along.

IMG_5606-L.jpg

On a non-RV note, I drug her out in the garage today for an oil change and tire rotation on my Camry. She's been in the shop lots of times before but I did way more talking and less doing. Floor jacks, jack stands, impacts etc we got the job done. My least favorite part of the day was rolling underneath the car on the creeper to notice the oil drain crush washer on the floor.......I did the oil drain plug crush washer addition while trying to keep most of the new clean oil in the pan. Kids....

Bahamas

Had a business conference to attend in Nassau this weekend and all was included but the flight. Not a problem as I prefer to fly myself anyway.
Short two hour flight from Sanford to Nassau. Lots of over water time but not a problem. Straight Thursday from Sanford to Nassau on a perfect day then back on Sunday with a stop in Ft. Pierce for customs. US customs has actually made the process easier and now there is not even a form.
Sorry I am bad at taking pictures.
Nassau.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
Skybar.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
Balcony.jpg
[/url]anonymous pictures website[/IMG]

Last edited:
I love these weekend flight threads, even though I'm not flying much due to smoky conditions in my area. Great idea!

Hand flew two instrument approaches. A good workout after spending so much time getting proficient with the autopilot.

Diane and I went for lunch to GMU as mentioned elsewhere.
The thing I wanted to note was I topped off the tire air when we returned. Sounds mundane. But..... I asked Di to help me get the tires oriented for the valves to line up with the access covers in the wheel pants. I have marks on the tires for this. Anyway I rolled the plane until she said stop. As luck would have it, ALL 3 TIRES LINED UP AT THE SAME TIME. :eek: She's hired.

Weekend flight up the Hudson

Okay, so it was two weekends ago, but such a good flight it's worthy of mention. While we still have the privilege the wife and I took the RV-6 up and down the Hudson, past NYC at 1100'. Circled the Statue of Liberty at 900' as well. If you haven't done this, I'd recommend giving it a try. A total blast!

YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/Z0LeqabAKOc

AF1QipPzXGZGZxKgZACFEn2w0cvxRLMDxrtywPsmm8d1

AF1QipMeQUvblfIHcTMRw05FFHn2hGMkqQsgJ8FFhT4m

Great video of your Hudson River flight. I've never been to NY and except for the way you guys did it, have no desire to go. Way too much congestion for me. I have a son that lives just west of Boston so as I head north, I do hope to fly the Hudson sometime in the future.

My wife and I took our first trip in our just out of phase one RV14a to Memphis. Flew into General Dewitt Spain M01. Great service at the FBO and hanger space available for only $25 a night. $8 Uber ride to Beale street. Great BBQ and music!
Mike

Back