What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel design feedback?

Nice choice of stuffs there.

Might consider moving the G5 to the right for easier right-seat flying and then you can move the center stuff up.

If you're holding the right side of the panel for a future G3 displays I'd shift everything to the right and put the G5 on the left to serve it's backup role.

Your as designed panel looks fun to fly behind.

Nice choice of stuffs there.

Might consider moving the G5 to the right for easier right-seat flying and then you can move the center stuff up.

Disagree, assuming you're building for ifr. To be useful as a backup you need that G5 within your normal scan. Keep it close.
Which brings up the question: if your two AI's disagree, which will you believe?

Disagree, assuming you're building for ifr. To be useful as a backup you need that G5 within your normal scan. Keep it close.
Which brings up the question: if your two AI's disagree, which will you believe?

This is easily solved by adding a second AHRS to the G3X Touch system. The two can cross reference each other and the G5 can be the tie breaker.

Control order

Do you mean to have the controls: throttle, mixture, prop instead of the more typical throttle, prop, mixture?

One thing I don't see but would highly recommend would be the Autopilot controller (GMC 305/307). Even if you don't purchase it now leave some room in the radio stack to install it later. If you fly IFR as it looks like you are planning then you will really want that controller. Switching the G3X to AP control mode is not easy when you are trying to do/see 5 other things at the same time.

You do need the backup G5 close for a comfortable scan but you might consider moving it to the left side of the panel and move the G3X to the right a bit.

Also consider where you will have your tablet with your approach plates on it?

You and I have similar panels so here is a picture of how mine ended up. The only thing I would change if I were to redo it would be to use the G5 and move my EICommander to a more visible spot.

2015-10-04%2B08.52.04.jpg

Make sure you take into account the required mounting hardware that is required behind the panel when you figure out the spacing. For example the G3x has a frame that holds the plate nuts that mount the display. Also there are angle pieces for the radio stack. Support ribs may need to be trimmed depending on equipment placement too.

* You don't have to use the G3X frame, you can use little angular nutplates;
* Double check the lateral placement so that the PFD is in front of you;
* Second the opinion about leaving room for the autopilot controller, the one with the knobs;
* 3-D audio is really cool. Don't know if that audio panel has it or not, but PS makes a really fine product;
* Consider making your panel modular, so that you can change it incrementally;
* Double check on transitioning from the 625 to the SL30 for an ILS vs doing it all on a 650. (I haven't got it all figured out on the 650, BTW). Your quest for failure tolerance may have usability consequences (I don't know);
* Spacing between the switches and such is excellent -- so many folks fail to do that;
* Maybe move the ignition switch up so that anything attached to the key won't interfere;
* Consider putting the G5 at the far left so you have room for the autopilot controller, and so that your (future) G3X screen will be closer to you. My plane has too much space between the G3X screens;
* Put in service loops long enough that you can access the center stack connectors without removing the mounting trays;
* Get some G3X time before you do your first flight if you possibly can. You'll be plenty busy with just the new airplane, and adding unfamiliar avionics could jeopardize your tolerable workload.

Ed

It's time to cut the panel! Any comments on this layout before it becomes a lot more difficult to change?

drawing-10gt-g5_zpsnyeguavf.png

Radio stack:
Garmin G5
PMA 5000EX
GTN 625
SL-30

Switches/CBs from L to R:
Headset jacks (not shown), Master, Alt1 (CB), Alt2 (CB), [gap], Ebus feed, Alt. Static, AP (CB), Trim (CB), Flaps (CB), [gap], Pitot Heat, Nav/Strobes, Landing Light, [gap], Fuel Pump, [gap], Flaps

Thanks!
David

Hello David,

There is an amazing amount of capability in that panel! As you know, the G5 flight instrument is a great backup to a single display G3X Touch system since it can continue to use the GTN 625 navigation, including approaches, should the GDU 460 display become unavailable.

Darin mentioned you might want to reserve space for the GMC 305/307, and we agree. If you have a GMC 305 or GMC 307 autopilot control panel, you can continue to use your G3X Touch autopilot even when flying without the big display - including flying autopilot coupled instrument approaches. Not to mention that most of us prefer using the GMC 305/307 to control the autopilot over the touch screen for everyday use.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Move flap switch

Looks nice.

I'd swap fuel pump and flap switches. I have my flap switch operable by my thumb while hand on throttle, figuring I use it more than the fuel pump. Also have an A/P disconnect nearby but you dont have much room left unless you extend lower panel to left to add a switch. Just my .02

Are the switches on an extended panel? Is that required? I am just starting the planning and don't want to encroach on legroom if possible. Thanks.

G3X mounting

Check out the RV-12 inst pnl G3X mounting sheet metal on the vans site. Would save you some time.

Personal preference would be to center the radio stack on the panel, so your large glass doesn't have to be tucked so tightly into the edge of the panel. When the future upgrade adds the second panel on the right side, your right-side passenger will be able to reach the radios as well as you can.

Just Because

Depends on how much acro you want to do and how you work your scan, but I'd have an old fashion needle read-out G-meter near the glareshield and an Angle of Attack Indexer on the glareshield.

You might want to move your main screen to the right, more centered on the pilot seat. Then, if the Garmin auto-pilot control can be mounted vertically, place it to the left of the EFIS. You might also consider placing the intercom control panel on the bottom. Then if you in a backup situation, your scan will be more compact from your navigator to your backup EFIS. You might also consider mounting an IPad on the right side of your panel. With the Garmin magic, you can have a moving map and a basic EFIS in the IPad for the right seat pilot as well as geo-referenced approach plates in a easy viewing position. You might want to put switches in the order you will use them, left to right. Then you can establish a flow pattern as you progress through check list.

Frank

Dues paid for 2016

Last edited:
Brian, that's a nice looking panel! Much like mine except that you found a way to incorporate those large switches without it looking goofy!

Last edited:
Back