What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dreaming of what engine for my RV9A

Surprised, other than the cost, no one talks about running a turbocharged motor at elevations above 10,000, in a RV-9.

No talk about ever running a Rotax 915 IS rated at 141 HP, and it's not losing HP at those elevations.

True, your climb rates won't be as good at lower elevations, but probably past 8000 feet and above, where the RV-9 wing does so well, it's still making good power, where a normally aspirated engine isn't. And it's pretty much FADEC capable. Fuel injection.

And to add some blasphemy, the engine is not a design from 1951 or 1953 when 320's and 360's first came out? Fresh design with current technology, manufacturing techniques and metallurgy. Car engine design, snowmobile engine design, jet ski design and other gasoline powered toys have not stood still. Any fresh new designs out of Lycoming lately? Just asking, for a friend. Wink.

Thoughts?

Sorry I am so simple minded... but if you want a o-360, why don't you build or buy something designed for it, a RV-6 or RV-7? Making something capable of doing something it was never designed for, is lost on me. Get the right tool for the flying mission.

Don’t get the message here. Apparently advocating supercharged experimental automotive/snowmobile power. And supercharged engines were the ones that the extreme >Vne air speeds were tabulated in the Kruger article. Yet the normally aspirated O-360 is somehow wrong.

Last edited:
Don?t get the message here. Apparently advocating supercharged experimental automotive/snowmobile power. And supercharged engines were the ones that the extreme >Vne air speeds were tabulated in the Kruger article. Yet the normally aspirated O-360 is somehow wrong.

Run a 141 HP turbocharged motor that is good for continuous 135 HP, has continuous power at higher elevations without loss, and doesn't exceed the Van's 160 HP max rated spec for a power plant that a o-320 recommendation by Van's, or go into the frowned upon 0-360 in a RV-12 request and getting Vno near Vne at higher elevations.

If you're on a tight budget.

Very easy to get a Yamaha snow mobile engine and call up Teal Jenkins for a gearbox. Or look up what Steve Henry is doing. 150 HP normally aspirated, and the motors are proving cheap and reliable, so far.

The RV-9 can hit Vne really quickly by just pointing the nose down so engine size is really not a factor unless flying from higher elevations. I usually cruise at around 125 - 130 MPH, sipping gas. Bottom line, the choice is your, get what YOU want.

You'll get the same results, pointing the nose even slightly down, on a RV-12, if you don't back out of the throttle first, approaching the Vne.

These are really slippery little birds, which probably explains why they are so efficient with fuel.

I don't know if the RV-9 is as sporty with input to the stick for elevator as the RV-12 is, but it doesn't take much finger motion with a RV-12 to get it to change direction, at all, when you're at where the green and yellow meet on the tape on a Dynon Skyview Touch at about 107 kt IAS. Perhaps the RV-9 is a bit more relaxed?

We've run 91 with ethanol Mogas all winter long here in So CA, up to 9500 ft, and haven't had a hickup yet with the vapor pressure from the fuel messing with the floats in the carbs or vaporizing in a Rotax 912 ULS. Key word... "yet". Wondering if the really high elevation and what it does to the vapor pressure of Regular 87 w ethanol mogas winter fuel is part of the problem?

Last edited:
Back