What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chino to Santa Rosa

pmccoy

Well Known Member
Since the 9A has been completed, I have been taking most of the flights with friends or fellow pilots. My wife had not been to big on the idea of flying in what she likes to call 'Alpha|Bravo' or "aluminum bitch".

This past weekend may have been a turning point. For the first time she went with me for a long cross country. We flew from Chino to Santa Rosa.

Ann, just after she stopped shaking form the take off...
IMG_1520.jpg

Leaving LA, this is a shot just north of the LA basin...
IMG_1531.jpg

This one is just past the Tejon Pass, 5 North from LA to San Fran...
IMG_1542.jpg

On the way North we had a bit of a head wind slowing us down, only 156mph over the ground...
IMG_1575.jpg

Up North just outside of San Fran...
IMG_1565.jpg

Just past Oakland and San Fran, we had ground fog. We delayed the flight as this was covering Santa Rosa earlier in the morning...
IMG_1594.jpg

Santa Rosa. The airport know by 3 names. Charles M. Schulz., Santa Rosa, Sonoma County Airport...(oops, corrected spelling)
IMG_1617.jpg

On the way home we had a nice tail wind that really helped with the ground speed. I think this is a record for me (218 mph over the ground, 145 knot TAS).
IMG_1651_1.jpg

Keep pounding those rivets. These RV's are great flying machines. Just gotta love it!

Last edited:
I was there too

You probably saw my 9A parked in I think the row behind your airplane on Saturday. It was a nice surprise to see another 9A on the apron. We almost have the same prop (you have one more blade).

I flew up there from RHV to have breakfast with a buddy.

Small world...even smaller with an RV.

Forgive my pedantic correction. The airport is named after Charles M. Schulz. Creator of the Peanuts comic strip.

In the "just outside of San Fran" picture you can see my home airport. In fact, my house is covered by your fuel tank. Hope you had a good stay, the weather has been very pleasant up here.

In the "just outside of San Fran" picture you can see my home airport. In fact, my house is covered by your fuel tank. Hope you had a good stay, the weather has been very pleasant up here.

My home airport too, KLVK, Livermore.
Lawrence Livermore National Lab is right below the plane.
We like KSTS, restaurant is better than average airport food.

Kelly, yes I saw your 9A on the ramp. It was a pleasure to fly hundreds of miles and then get to park next to two RV's. Your 9A and the 8 from somewhere up in Washington.

A couple more details on this trip.

Route of flight;
KCNO - GMN - AVE - PXN - CCR - KSTS

KCNO to KSTS was flown at 8,500', 2450 RPM, 7 GPH, 373 n miles, 2:44 in the air. The return trip I diverted to Big Bear, and flew for only 2:24, with a nice tail wind.

Great Pics

Peter,

How much fun is it to stretch the legs with the -9A! Even better with the little lady aboard for the fun. How do you keep her awake?!? You must be a much better companion than me!

So glad you are done building, you both look to be having a blast!

Back