What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Modification: Pneumatic Rivet Puller

txaviator

Well Known Member
I figured I'd post this here (versus the tool section) since a pneumatic rivet puller is seldom used on models other than the RV-12.

For those of you who use a pneumatic puller, have you found out how frustrating it is when the rivet 'stems' continually fall out of the slot in the gun's tailpiece? I had them falling out all the time and decided to find a solution. The cost? About $3.00. I went to ACE Hardware and bought a piece of flexible plumbing / sink drain tube, 1 1/2" inside diameter, 12" long. They sell it by the foot. I also bought a cork that fits in the end. Remove the tail piece from your gun that currently catches the rivet stems. In its place, slide the flex tub over the end of the gun and cap it off with a cork. The tube can be bent to be out of your way, and will catch 10-times more rivet stems than the original method, and they won't fall out if you tilt the gun the wrong way. At the end of the work session just remove the cork and dump the stems into the trash. Works great!

rivet.jpg

I like it, I always spend time afterwards picking up the stems with the magnetic pole. this will be better

Peter

Good idea! The method I used was the magnetic pole which was a nice break from driving the rivets. I liked that.
Dick Seiders

I went to ACE Hardware and bought a piece of flexible plumbing / sink drain tube, 1 1/2" inside diameter, 12" long. They sell it by the foot.

I wonder if the right diameter clear flexible plastic tubing would work also. That would let you see how full the catcher has gotten.

Alex

I wonder if the right diameter clear flexible plastic tubing would work also. That would let you see how full the catcher has gotten.

Alex

Absolutely! The aviation aisle at Ace was out of clear, so that's why I got the white :D

Great Idea!

You will like that tool a ton better with a swivel between the tool and the plug.

Back