What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Polished aluminum spinner for an RV-10?

jahoosafat

Hi - I'm repainting my RV-10 and would like to replace the current painted Vans spinner with a polished aluminum one. I haven't called Vans yet, but the spinner kits for constant speed props on their site don't seem to offer this option. Any ideas where I can buy one? I also considered chrome plating the spinner, but my paint guy tells me it's just not durable enough. Thanks for any info!

I think it will help if you identify which prop you have.

Cummins in Australia is making a metal spinner that fits a 13" spinner for a 2 bladed hartzel prop. I have it and it has been chromed since it does not polish well. It looks fabulous. Cummins makes a great spinner but his business model is not of a typical US based business so you will need to be patient with slow response.

Sure - this is for a 2 blade Hartzell HC-c2yr-1BFP/F8068D . Wait - you chromed your metal spinner? How has it held up? What chrome plating method did you use?

Last edited:
Hi - I'm repainting my RV-10 and would like to replace the current painted Vans spinner with a polished aluminum one. I haven't called Vans yet, but the spinner kits for constant speed props on their site don't seem to offer this option. Any ideas where I can buy one? I also considered chrome plating the spinner, but my paint guy tells me it's just not durable enough. Thanks for any info!

You might check with Hartzell. I think I saw one listed a while back. If they have it though, it will not be cheap $$$$$$.

Cummins Spinner chromed by Space Coast Plating, FL.

While I love the final result I only sent it out for chroming after the aluminum would not polish properly.

It looks so good I would definitely chrome again.

o5u.jpg

Sure - this is for a 2 blade Hartzell HC-c2yr-1BFP/F8068D . Wait - you chromed your metal spinner? How has it held up? What chrome plating method did you use?
Sorry, I should have said, I had it chromed.

They do a process which uses multiple type plating, copper, nickel, .... and the final coat is Chrome. Looks awesome much like the picture above.

So it appears that chrome plating a regular metal spinner is a somewhat common solution. Is there any reason why I couldn't just strip my current spinner and take it to a chrome plating shop?

I just spoke to Space Coast. Seems like a good setup: $350 plus some extras. I just ship the spinner to them and they ship it back. Nice. I just hope the finish lasts.

I thought the spinner that Vans supplies with the Hartzell 2-blade for the RV-10 is fiberglass, not metal. Does Hartzell (or Vans) sell a metal spinner for the 2-blade Hartzell on an RV-10, that could then be chromed?

The spinner from Vans is fiberglass for sure. I do not know about the spinner from Hartzell.

Arrgh. I thought the Vans spinner was metal/aluminum. Darn. Ok, so now I need to buy a Cummins spinner and then chrome plate it?

Nothing really to add other than that chromed spinner looks fantastic!

I've got the Hartzell composite prop and their spinner and that spinner looks easily as nice.

Back