What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilling AN fitting

AN23

Well Known Member
Ok, my fuel tank access panels were seeping around the old cork gaskets and the screws so out they came. While in the area, I decided that I would replace the original, builder fabricated, fuel pickups with the new screen style which means, I need to reaccomplish the anti rotation SB by safety wiring the B nut. My new pickups came from Vans and they are not drilled for the safety wire. Checked with Vans and they said I heed to drill them. I've read all of the threads on doing this and I'm going to practice on the old ones first. I noticed that while drilling the old ones, the bit had pierced into the threads on both fittings (l&r). I've read of the concern of doing just that but I have to ask, isn't the sealing surface at the flair? Why would it matter if this happens? Obviously, I don't want this to occur but the way the new pickups are sent, you only get one shot at drilling them.

The bracket for the RV-7 is T-715 It comes as 4 pieces which you separate and choose the orientation that works best

Understand guys but this is an already built aircraft and I don't want to have to try to clean off proseal and then drill out the old style bracket, reinstall the new one, etc. it's been flying for 15 years with the old style and safety wire.

It was a non-event. Bill Repucci flew over and we practiced several times on an old fitting. In short, you use the smallest possible drill bit, start perpendicular to the correct flat and then once started, transition from vertical to horizontal. Helps to use a very slow turning battery powered drill. Both turned out perfect.

Thanks Bill!

Had one on-hand. Tried it and it would not work. Drill bit hit too high on AN fitting.

It was a non-event. Bill Repucci flew over and we practiced several times on an old fitting. In short, you use the smallest possible drill bit, start perpendicular to the correct flat and then once started, transition from vertical to horizontal. Helps to use a very slow turning battery powered drill. Both turned out perfect.

Thanks Bill!

You are more than welcome. Happy to help.

(Nora enjoyed the flight.)

Back