What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Windshield heat reflector

rvdave

Well Known Member
Any source for a foil type windshield sun deflector while parking or is the cloth cover what is being used?

Cloth cover .. you don't want the heat passing through the window and then have it build between the inside of the window and a reflective layer.

I like the covers as they only take a minute to install and some what secure the aircraft. You cannot see what is inside without removing the cover.

Are you talking about a reflective shade inside the cockpit? The reflective window shades you put on the inside of the window are fine for your car with its glass windows but not the best plan for your airplane with plastic windows. The reflective shades can concentrate energy like a magnifying glass. I know one of the major manufacturers of long range business jets recommends against the use of reflective shades inside the windows. I have heard most of the others have similar advice to operators but I have not seen it first hand.

We contacted LP Aero plastics regarding the crazing on our RV10 windshield. They said the cause was the use of automobile reflective inserts on the inside of the plexiglass. They said there is a chemical reaction from the materials in the sunshields that causes the crazing.

Even Bruce's custom cover's does not recommend the use of their internal sun shields for more than a couple of hours at a time..."We would only recommend using sun shields 'HeatShields' for temporary use during day trips or for a couple of hours at a time during a short layover. If used too frequently over time, the silver reflective surface can cause damage to your Plexiglas windscreen and laminated windshields as it traps heat in between your glass and the HeatShield."

Back