What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear window shim smoothness

coffeeguy

Well Known Member
I just finished assembling my roll bar this weekend and am prepping it for paint. I looked ahead to the finish kit and it looks like there is nothing between the shim and the window. I'm a little uncomfortable with the window riding on the shim and pulled rivets, but if that's what is in the plans then ok. I was thinking about going over it with some emory paper and making sure I got a real smooth surface and had no rivet edges or mandrel burrs, etc.

Did anyone do anything special in this area other than make sure it was a nice smooth surface? Just want to make sure that everything goes smoothly.

Jeff

Make sure the pulled rivets are truly flush. I had a few rivets that were not quite flush and one of them was bearing enough to put pressure on the bottom of the window, causing a little stress clouding. I decided to remove the window (again!) to recountersink the rivet, and in the process, broke the window. :eek: I ended up removing and recountersinking about half of the rivets to be sure there would be no induced stress. BTW - the window is more than $400! Be careful!

Thanks! I'll sand it and touch up one or two areas, but it's pretty good. Just wanted to see what experience others had.

Jeff

Back