What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

350 clecos

SantosDumont

Well Known Member
I just ordered the 14 empennage kit and I'm trying to put together a Spruce tools list. On 03-02 Builders Tool Requirements it says I need 125 1/8 clecos and 350 3/32 clecos...

How many do I really need to complete the empennage?

Seems like a lot for the emp, however, you'll use them all on the wings. Post-wings, I have buckets of untouched clecos (small buckets) that I loan out to friends working on their wings.

estimate for emp

I'd guess 20 or 30 of the 1/8 size and 50 of the 3/32 size. They are relatively inexpensive so probably around $50 worth, plus shipping.
...Just my $0.02, others may know better with more certainty. ;)

You are building an empennage and tailcone. You will use loads and loads for the rear fuselage.

You can never have too many clecoes, but you can danged sure regret not having enough!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

clecos are one of those items that you can get a good deal of your money back when you finish and decide to sell them. Tools and clecos go well on the used market. Don't be bashful about ordering them.

I'm building a cart in aircraft spruce for tools, just don't want to order more than i need right now since I'm building my tool library up from nothing.

I'm building a cart in aircraft spruce for tools, just don't want to order more than i need right now since I'm building my tool library up from nothing.

For what its worth. I switched to ?Wedge-Loc? cleco?s sold by Cleveland Aircraft Tool. I find that they actually hold in #40 holes that are dimpled. In my experience, the ?CLEKOLOC-USA? variety, as sold by spruce, the yard, etc, will hold in a #40 hole, but not after it it dimpled. I say that, but what I really mean is that they do not hold when you buck adjacent holes etc...

I actually own lots of both. I just paint the ?wedge-loc? ones red, and keep them separate. They work a lot better during the final assembly before riveting.
Good luck.

Back