What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pre-shipping camping gear

AAflyer

Well Known Member
After years of camping at Camp Scholler, when I was building, I finally flew my new -8 to OSH last year. I was solo and camped at HBC. I loved it!
This year I hope to bring my (full grown) son with me, and will be weight restricted.
I heard that OSH may have a receiving site for UPS or FedEx shipments, so I can ship some gear there ahead of time.
Is this true? If so, please clue me in.
Thanks

Shipping gear

I've done it several times, works great. Two boxes, tent, towels, blow up good sleeping mattress and I like sheets and blankets better than a bed roll, less bulk. I put our clothes in a cooler and take my own chairs that just fit crossways in the 6. I've done all of this in an 8 also. $75.00 each way from Texas. The good folks at HBC will give you a ride to get it. I've done it on the tram, but it's a pain.

FedEx in and out worked well for me. But be sure to fill out your paperwork/address carefully and attach it to your box personally for the return home trip. Mine got lost for a few weeks on the return home after I let the Oshkosh FedEx person handle my completed shipping form.

I recommend packing a lightweight luggage cart in your box so you can get it back to camp. Getting a ride will be challenging. People are very busy, although a buddy and I managed to "convince" one of the EAA brass to give us a ride on her golf cart in 2016. I've never actually been in a golf cart that did a wheelie... Guess we had CG issues. She was a very good sport about it all!

FedEx in and out worked well for me. But be sure to fill out your paperwork/address carefully and attach it to your box personally for the return home trip. Mine got lost for a few weeks on the return home after I let the Oshkosh FedEx person handle my completed shipping form.

I recommend packing a lightweight luggage cart in your box so you can get it back to camp. Getting a ride will be challenging. People are very busy, although a buddy and I managed to "convince" one of the EAA brass to give us a ride on her golf cart in 2016. I've never actually been in a golf cart that did a wheelie... Guess we had CG issues. She was a very good sport about it all!

Does Fedex have a facility on site for return shipping or should we pre-print our shipping back from home?

Does Fedex have a facility on site for return shipping or should we pre-print our shipping back from home?

If they do it like years passed, FedEx will have a tent facility set up. The pre-printed forms linked are good for arriving packages. My misplaced box involved return shipment and using the hand written FedEx shipping forms. Complete the form properly, attach to the box yourself and keep the receipt. It was/is very chaotic in the tent/facility. But it worked.

Last edited:
Back