What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Technique

FuturPilot

Well Known Member
I'm not happy with my performance.
Look at pic and tell me what you think I should do to remedy?

[thread moved out of Classifieds; S.Buchanan]

Attachments

• technique.jpg
    technique.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 230
Last edited by a moderator:
Practice. That's the big thing.

From a technical perspective, make sure the workpiece is well secured. It is hard to rivet if the assembly is dancing around.

Also, put a piece of masking tape (the blue painter's tape is good) over the rivet heads before you drive them. That seems to add some friction and keep the rivet set from bouncing around as much.

And use a heavy bucking bar. It helps.

But mostly practice.

Another hint is to make sure you're pressing against the part with the gun the entire time. Don't release the trigger and simultaneously reduce pressure against the part.

Did I mention practice? Honestly, I was all the way through the empennage before I could drive a row of 1/8" button head rivets without needing to drill several out.

I agree.. practice. I prefer a longer rivet set in the gun, I feel it helps me see if my angle is straight or if I’m off slightly. That’s what’s causing the smile on the sheet metal. As for the smile on the rivet heads, consciously keep pressure on the gun even after you release the trigger. If you release pressure as you release the trigger, you’ll get that extra hit on the rivet head.

Practice, change techniques.

Try shorter bursts
definitely tape
try lower pressure
try firmer pressure
try combinations

Practice.

We've all been there. Riveting seems hard at first, but it is a steep learning curve. You will catch on in no time. All good advice above. Just keep pushing on the gun AFTER you release the trigger. You will be surprised how fast you learn the technique.

Agree with starting with low pressure and increasing as you get better. The best advice I could give would be to find someone who can watch you and you watch him. There must be a builder or EAA Chapter up in your area.

Back