What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Apply cowling heat sheild

Wingit

I have googled this but not much info. I am looking for best way to lay out and cut pieces of heat shield to apply to cowl. Thank you

Dave

Heat shield material comes as part of the kit, with instructions for installation. It has worked well for me at 200 hours, so far. My only deviation from the plans was based on the recommendation of an early 14 builder: Cut the shield material about 1 inch larger than specified in the plans. YMMV

Heat shield

The plans show a few dimensions and a picture of a completed cowl with shield applied. How many pieces did you apply to cover area shown.

Thanks for your reply and any other info.

Dave

I don’t seem to have any photos of the bottom cowling, and it has been too long for me to remember clearly. :rolleyes: I can take a photo the next time I have the bottom cowling off, if noone else can help. I don’t recall it being any problem using the plan directions, however. Sorry.

I added 1/16" think fiberfrax under the aluminum sheet VANS provide and the results has been amazing. My entire bottom cowl was covered and after shut down you could touch it and feel hardly any warmth whereas the top cowl would be too hot to handle.

I added 1/16" think fiberfrax under the aluminum sheet VANS provide and the results has been amazing. My entire bottom cowl was covered and after shut down you could touch it and feel hardly any warmth whereas the top cowl would be too hot to handle.

+1, except I used 1/8” Fiberfrax in the areas near the exhaust pipes.
Carl
A666-DE52-4-A5-F-45-AC-A422-938-D9328-A999.jpg

Attachments

• Cowl Insulation1.jpg
    Cowl Insulation1.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 291
  • Cowl Insulation2.jpg
    Cowl Insulation2.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 315
This MIGHT work?

I ran a search on heat vs fiberglass. Seems the car guys use various spray/roll/brush methods to put down various products that reduce noise and heat. I ordered enough of one product that will cover at least 2 cowlings, so I rolled on 2 layers of the stuff on my top cowl to see if did it work. I have been kept on the ground (rain) so I have not yet tested this stuff. I will say it sure does apply easily with a 4” roller, and smells like latex house paint.

I’ll have a report for you when I can get off the ground!

The bottom cowl is covered like Dan’s with a peel n stick heat resistant product from one of the car suppliers, so it is doing fine. If this other stuff sticks and reduces the heat on the top, I’ll roll on some of it where the fiberglass is bare on the bottom cowl. Maybe this product will help with keeping the inside of the cowl a bit cleaner...

Fiberfrax - Bonding?

Has anyone found the best way to bond Fiberfrax to the cowl underneath the aluminium foil? Also, have you coated the Fiberfrax with anything so the self adhesive aluminium foil bonds onto it?
I am wondering if sticking it down with epoxy resin will spoil its thermal properties.

Has anyone found the best way to bond Fiberfrax to the cowl underneath the aluminium foil? Also, have you coated the Fiberfrax with anything so the self adhesive aluminium foil bonds onto it?
I am wondering if sticking it down with epoxy resin will spoil its thermal properties.

If you simply shadow the pipes with strips of fiberfrax (see post 9), there is no need to bond it. Fiberfrax is unnecessary elsewhere.

Back