What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2 1/4 inch storage

mikerkba

Well Known Member
Remember the standard RV8 Vans fuel gauge placement, at an angle outside your left knee, set at an angle? I bet I am not the only one that removed them when going EFIS. I closed up the holes with simple matching painted plates using the same screws.

I wondered if anyone has used the fuel gauge locations for storage cup(s) that fits nicely in the 2 1/4" holes and can (or be drilled to) use the same screws. Since the holes are set at an angle, the contents (e.g., pens, AA batteries, headset control) should stay in place even better than a horizontal oriented storage compartment.

I didn't see anything appropriate in a general amazon search. Maybe someone is 3D printing them, or hopefully something else is already available.

Perhaps a tin can or plastic bottle can be found that might work. The supermarket is your friend.

Or just buy a tube the right diameter, cut it to length, and find a cap for the closed end.

With a bit more work, you can make a mold and fiberglass it.

Dave

Replace the plates with the current flat style and put in whatever you want. Here are the two options I made. The left side has my fuel selector. (Aluminum billiard table cup holders off Amazon)

Attachments

• IMG_1203.jpg
    IMG_1203.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_1348.jpg
    IMG_1348.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 235
Replace the plates with the current flat style and put in whatever you want. Here are the two options I made. The left side has my fuel selector. (Aluminum billiard table cup holders off Amazon)

Mike, great location for the small O2 bottle but I hope you add some sort of positive restraint to it so it doesn't fly out in turbulence. I had a very scary incident one time with a errant bottle (flew up & punched a hole through the canopy, just glad it wasn't through my head).

Yes, your point is valid and that photo was taken before I added some beefy hold down anchors and straps.

Also, The cups for the ox bottles are actually two-deep, one riveted to the other to make a deeper pocket. The bottles can be removed (close, but clears!) for swapping or refilling.

I don't use ox much, so I have a storage version of the panel with a regular cup holder for some water or whatever that will probably be installed most of the time.

Attachments

• storage.jpg
    storage.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 227
  • oxy.jpg
    oxy.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Looking good

Remember the standard RV8 Vans fuel gauge placement, at an angle outside your left knee, set at an angle? I bet I am not the only one that removed them when going EFIS. I closed up the holes with simple matching painted plates using the same screws.

I wondered if anyone has used the fuel gauge locations for storage cup(s) that fits nicely in the 2 1/4" holes and can (or be drilled to) use the same screws. Since the holes are set at an angle, the contents (e.g., pens, AA batteries, headset control) should stay in place even better than a horizontal oriented storage compartment.

I didn't see anything appropriate in a general amazon search. Maybe someone is 3D printing them, or hopefully something else is already available.

My question to you is how the heck to you refill your O2 tank. I've got one and the oxygen folks don't want to have anything to do with it.
Your solution also solves where to put it.
Daddyman

My question to you is how the heck to you refill your O2 tank. I've got one and the oxygen folks don't want to have anything to do with it.
Daddyman

Many different suggestions have been posted on filling O2 bottles (search refilling oxygen). It can be done relatively inexpensively.

Daddyman

Take the tank to your local welding supply shop...

Arc3 Gases
Airgas Store

Back