What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best RV model for short person

toddzz

I'm New Here
I'm 5'4". Was thinking I'd build an RV-14a.

But then I started reading that it's great for tall people. Uh oh...

Will I be able to reach the rudder pedals?

Would another model be a better fit for me?

I'm also 5'4" and have flown most all RV models. It's all done with seat cushions.

My 4'-11" wife is wanting booster cushions to see over the nose of the -10 a little better. That will make the rudder/brake pedal reach issue even worse than it is. She will require a removable false floor in front of the right seat so her feet will touch and take the weight off her thighs - and I estimate the cheater blocks on the rudder pedal crossbars will have to be fabricated from chunks of 6"x6" barn poles.

Fortunately the rudder pedals are only a concern if I'm going to teach her to fly or to get herself down with a disabled pilot. Rudder is optional, but no brakes = bad outcome.

Rudder pedal position and seat back location are adjustable. The rudder pedal position is fixed, once bolted in, but the seat back position is quickly changed.

My 4'-11" wife is wanting booster cushions to see over the nose of the -10 a little better. That will make the rudder/brake pedal reach issue even worse than it is. She will require a removable false floor in front of the right seat so her feet will touch and take the weight off her thighs - and I estimate the cheater blocks on the rudder pedal crossbars will have to be fabricated from chunks of 6"x6" barn poles.

Fortunately the rudder pedals are only a concern if I'm going to teach her to fly or to get herself down with a disabled pilot. Rudder is optional, but no brakes = bad outcome.

This made me laugh...haha. My wife does not have any interest in learning to fly, otherwise we would have some similar issues.

5'7" here, but who cares...

speaking about all models, and specifically the -14, YES (friend of mine is 5'5" and just made his maiden a few weeks ago, no problem)

define "better fit"? Of course the -3, or the -4, or the -6, or the -7, (assuming lover's config is your wish) will better fit short (and lean...) bodies, than say the -8, -10, or -14...

All that said, go for the -14A, or even better, learn to fly an drop the A altogether :D

I am 5'6" and the rudder pedals on the RV8 are a bit of a stretch for me at the nearest setting to the pilot. I haven't flown it yet but I am anticipating of adding extra back cushion to move myself closer to the rudder pedals. I am planning to wear a parachute so that is another option that will accomplish the same thing as well.

I fly a -10, but I think the front cabin layout is similar.
I mounted the rudder pedals in the aft (closest to seat) position.
I have the standard Van’s seat. I fly with the seat one notch (I think 3/4”) aft of full forward. I’m 5’6”, so probably 1” longer legs, 1” higher eye-line. If you put the seat full forward you should be fine (the seat height goes up as it moves forward). At worst, a thin cushion behind you, but probably not. Just build the pedals in the aft position.
PS if you get a chance to sit in someone’s plane, be sure to ask the rudder pedal position as many or most are in the forward position. Not too hard to change, a few bolts, different link to rudder cable.

I'm 5'1", he's 5'7". After flying a purchased -6 for awhile that was too much of a stretch for my legs (seat can only go so far forward without the stick becoming an issue) we built the -7 with the pedal distance being a bit more bespoke so I can fly with the seat in the most forward pin location and he can be one more back, but we added extra bolt hole locations on the stringers so someday if we sell it someone can move the pedals more towards the firewall if more legroom is desired.

I fly a -10, but I think the front cabin layout is similar.
I mounted the rudder pedals in the aft (closest to seat) position.
I have the standard Van’s seat. I fly with the seat one notch (I think 3/4”) aft of full forward. I’m 5’6”, so probably 1” longer legs, 1” higher eye-line. If you put the seat full forward you should be fine (the seat height goes up as it moves forward). At worst, a thin cushion behind you, but probably not. Just build the pedals in the aft position.
PS if you get a chance to sit in someone’s plane, be sure to ask the rudder pedal position as many or most are in the forward position. Not too hard to change, a few bolts, different link to rudder cable

Yep, good suggestion. I see in the 14 plans that there is provision for 3 rudder pedal locations.

Which RV?

Sorry to sound condescending but the right one is the one you own. It's experimental. Modify to fit. I'm 5'6". Building both sides to fit me so I can fly either side. Sweetie has no interest in learning. We will have to practice some emergency procedures.:D

I seen, I looked and didn't see the answer.
ALL OF THEM, Ha Ha You will make it to fit for sure
I have the opposite problem at 6'4"= RV-14 mod and new panel and 5 point Hookers
I fit great. I wish I had your problem. I have a lot of scars on the top of my head.
Buy and rework and enjoy the ride
Art

I'm super qualified for this thread, I'm 5'3" !

I built an RV7A. I've flown a 6A, 6 and sat in many others.

I installed my rudder pedals at the normal full aft position (I drilled several locations for future giant people, should they need another position).

I omitted the linkages to the rudder pedals/cable so they fit just right. Van himself advised me of this while pulling the demo apart for me at OSH years ago.

Can't see much over the nose (on anything!) but I'm about eye level with the highest part of the cowl over the glare shield.

To those that suggest "just add cushions", think again! For guys, the "wedding vegetables" can get in the way of the stick if you are pushed too far forward. Having the crotch strap kit can help, but mind those things!
I have a classic aero interior with sportsman seats. I added the booster cushion for the bottom. I tilt my seat in the standard "most forward" position.

After 450 hours, I bought some of these pedal extensions and they do help give me a bit more "leg" if there is a cross wind. They are excellent quality:
https://www.aerosportproducts.com/product/rv-rudder-peddle-extensions/

Cheers,
..lance

Back